• advertisement_alt

Your ideal karate gi

Have you found the 'ideal' gi?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Have you found the 'ideal' gi?

• Still Searching!
    • Yes!

Hey!

Trying to get a bit of information and market research as I'm in the process of designing a karate gi. We're focusing on the manufacturing components of the gi but other than the overall build, what would you want from a gi?

would you ideally want;

ventilation?

crisp 100% cotton

euro or japan cut?

realistically, what would you want from a gi?

We wouldn't be focusing on a WKF approved gi (at the moment) as there are a lot of companies already doing great things. We're trying to create your ideal 'every day' gi that offers that little bit extra.

thanks!

-Chris :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My primary concern is durability. I would really like a heavyweight gi made of 100% hemp, but nobody makes one--I have a lightweight hemp gi that I had someone make (didn't turn out that great, though), and a hemp jujutsu gi that I love (but it's shrunk a bit too much). Hemp is 4 times stronger than cotton, antimicrobial, provides UV protection, and is easier on the environment, so I just see all kinds of benefits.

As far as cut goes, I'm partial to an "Okinawan cut," which isn't an official thing. Basically, though, it's a longer jacket (about mid-thigh) with 3/4 sleeves and pant legs.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I want durability and that it is light. Although my current Gi isn't all that durable atm cause it is close to being ripped in the seam in the pants.

I like the WKF approved gi's because there are a lot of variations to them. At the moment I have already ordered the Arawaza Opal Gi. Which is to replace my current gi.

Although I have requested it to be custom made because of my awkward body shape.

Since your designing a gi anyway, you might as well get WKF Approval, because if someone who competes at International Tournaments wears your gi and really likes it then others will want to get it.

That way you can make your brand more well known

Edited by Nidan Melbourne

I now do Tang Soo Do, so my ideal Gi would be one that is priced and has the same cut as the Arawaza Gi's but with the ventilation of the adidas Gi's (the one that had the air vents down the back and under the arms). Added to that the midnight blue trim around the edges.

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

I voted yes but that is not the entire story. I am partial to Shureido, and an Okinawan cut. However, as good as they are, they are never "perfect".

Generally, what I have to do to find perfect is to train in the Gi for a while. Discover how it stretches and responds to cleaning. Then I will modify it as needed; I have gone so far as to remove and put a sleeve back on.

I would say WKF is a good place to start; it is usually a good stamp of approval for a Gi to have. However, if you ever want "perfect" I find it is a lot of hard work and learning how to redo a Gi as you need.

So; for me I would suggest a few things for a product;

1. The ability to order a jacket and trousers of different sizes. This is usually why I have to modify many of my Gi, due to my build I either find the trousers are too short, or the jacket is too tight around the shoulders.

2. Consider building in adjust-ability. I often roll up, or cut, the sleeves and leggings to get the cut I want. I do not imagine I am alone in this; I would consider a design that takes this into account.

3. Offer a mix of materials; some times you want a material which breathes easier because of the heat. Sometimes you want something that doesn't allow too much heat to leave the body due to it being cold weather. I would say a choice of materials would be a step forward.

In terms of Generic cut; I prefer to purchase European as it is easier to adjust. I suggest that it is the best default cut on that basis.

R. Keith Williams

I like Okinawan Cut Gis, broad at the shoulder with short arms and legs. My current one is a WMA 12oz. It's cheap, about £25, it's tough and I have full range of movement. I can't complain.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I tend to wear either a heavy weight cotton gi, or a Judo gi (also cotton). I am a big fan of the way Judo Gi are cut (shorter arms, longer body length, the "Okinawan cut" being described by others), as it doesn't catch on weapons when I'm practicing with them. I have had the problem with some of my older gi that the sleaves would stretch when soaked with sweat. Haven't had that issue with my current couple of ones.

A tad of ventilation in a heavy cotton/canvas gi sounds like something I'd be willing to try. Since I've never had a gi with it I don't know if it would be a selling feature, but it sounds awesome (the temperature difference when taking the top off in summer heat training (gets to be > 40C in the dojo in hotter summers, this year's been mild) is insane).

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

When I trained in my childhood and youth I had mostly Century, an American brand from what is probably the largest martial arts supply company in the Americas.

Now I swear by Shureido and refuse to wear anything else. My belts and gi are from that store as is every other piece of equipment I own. My gear bag, my DVDs, books and even some clothing are Shureido.

The reason is that my sensei is from Okinawa and the store staff are friendly acquaintances of mine. I like to support the local economy and give business to them. I also recommend them to all because they are always very friendly and helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

OSU!

I like heavy duty dogis, just for the reason that I sweat like an animal during practice, and I need a dogi that soaks it up. So for me at least 12oz pants and jacket.

As for the cut I definitely like the typical knockdown look - short sleeves, long and wide pants, generally a baggy look. It's not for the look actually, but I have found that in such a dogi I feel most comfortable.

Of course, any ISAMI dogi will do it, but they're so ridiculously expensive. A great alternative for me is the KWON Full contact dogi in the 12oz version. I wear that one almost all the time.

Summing up, I want my dogi to be stiff and heavy and to stand up on it's own when it's wet. :D

OSU!

Just Karate

OSU!

Summing up, I want my dogi to be stiff and heavy and to stand up on it's own when it's wet. :D

OSU!

There are lines that when taken out of context can be......HILARIOUS !!!

I think this qualifies!

Sorry couldn't resist - if I've broken a user guideline I'm very very sorry !!! :)

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"