• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long for lessons?

I have a question for whoever is teaching out there. I would like some perspectives on the ideal time length for training different age groups. As for me, I am used to dojo sessions that are at least 2 hours long. However, doubt this is the norm everywhere and this is definitely not suited to everyone. Especially youths and children.

Here are my ideas:

Adults and teens(16+): 1-2hrs

Youth 13-15yrs: 1hr max.

Kids 8-12years: 45min

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We run (technically) all classes for 50 minutes but that never happens and runs for 1 hour (and usually goes for 70 minutes when we are running late).

A few adults will do double classes which in total is 2 hours. But that is a personal choice to them.

But for classes that is under 6 years you would do 30-45 minutes and everything else 1 hour minimum

Where I go the young kids (ages 4 - 6) classes are 45 minutes, the kids (ages 7 - 12) classes are 1 hour, and the adult classes are 90 minutes. I'm fine with the adult time as long as the classes keep up on the pace, which they do.

I was in a school where the classes for all were 2 hours. My son was there when he was young and that was definitely too long for him.

Little kids definitely can't focus for more than 45 minutes to an hour, and even then you really need to break things up for them. The more often you're changing activities, the longer they'll be able to go, but I still definitely would not go over an hour with anyone under 15. Even the two hour adult classes, you need to split up. Two hours is a long time.

I recently expanded my schedule to make ALL kids classes 1 hour and it has been quite a success-even with the 4 yr old crowd. It gives me time to establish a daily rapport with each class, answer their questions (as they have MANY!), and make sure that everyone stays engaged by having the luxury to stop and re-focus the class when needed. I am, afterall, in the busines of teaching kids to focus, pay attention to details, and learn self discipline so if I never push them beyond their capacity they will never grow. The parents are loving it too!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Kids...1 hour...kids under 6...30 minutes

JBB...1 and a half hour

Adults...2 hours

Godan and above...3 hours

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have a question for whoever is teaching out there. I would like some perspectives on the ideal time length for training different age groups. As for me, I am used to dojo sessions that are at least 2 hours long. However, doubt this is the norm everywhere and this is definitely not suited to everyone. Especially youths and children.

Here are my ideas:

Adults and teens(16+): 1-2hrs

Youth 13-15yrs: 1hr max.

Kids 8-12years: 45min

I think that's about right Spartacus. Certainly the same as my old Sensei used.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

I don't teach kids under the age of 12 but my classes are broken down as follows;

Sandans and above 3 hrs on Monday, 3 hrs of Wednesday and 2 hrs on Saturday.

Hachikyu to Nidan 2 hrs two to three nights a week.

Some of the younger students parents opt to only let them train for an 1-1/2 which is fine because they start to loose focus.

If I were to teach kids under 12 I would probably limit it to an hour or an hour and a half. It's not my decision though since my organization will not allow us to take kids younger than 12. It actually used to be 14 yrs old but that was changed about 10 years ago when Sensei's grandson wanted to start learning so he changed the age. I am actually hoping that our Soshi changes this to all ages when our Kaiso/Sensei retires but I doubt he will.

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.

Our current schedule is...

3-4 years: 30 minutes

5-7 years: 45 minutes

8-14 years low & middle ranks: 45 minutes

8-14 years high ranks: 55 minutes

Adults: 60 minutes

Adult instructor training: 1 hour 45 minutes

Every class at least one student stays after for extra training for 5-15 minutes

I personally feel our students could handle the following...

8-14 years low ranks: 45 minutes

8-14 years middle ranks: 60 minutes

8-14 years high ranks: 90 minutes

Adults: 90 minutes

Unfortunately there are only so many hours in a day, and I already teach 29 classes per week.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Our current schedule is...

8-14 years low & middle ranks: 45 minutes

8-14 years high ranks: 55 minutes

Adults: 60 minutes

Adult instructor training: 1 hour 45 minutes

Every class at least one student stays after for extra training for 5-15 minutes

I personally feel our students could handle the following...

8-14 years low ranks: 45 minutes

8-14 years middle ranks: 60 minutes

8-14 years high ranks: 90 minutes

Adults: 90 minutes

Unfortunately there are only so many hours in a day, and I already teach 29 classes per week.

I find it interesting that you currently teach 3-5 year olds. What is your method of teaching them?

All our classes run for 60 minutes each, but for our young students that are of a low rank we try and at least make fun to keep them interested.

Our Adults of Green Belt and above have the opportunity to train for 2 hours on a Monday, due to the 'advanced' class being for green belts and above. But no green/purple or blue belts take it up, and is left to brown belts through to the black belts.