• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You opinion on training at multiple schools

I think a good option for a teacher faced with a cross training student is just to warn them that rank exams may have to wait if they are impeded by the extra material. If the student is genuine about wanting to learn and not wanting a belt it won't trouble them and the instructor doesn't have to worry about the student lagging.

Have no problem with it.

Obviously there are pros and cons.

Agree with DaveB's post 100% !!! :karate:

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only thing about a student wanting to cross train is "how different is what they want to train in than what we do here?" 20 years ago, as an assistant at a TKD school, I began also training across the street at a boxing gym. Because it was quite different in technique than TKD, my instructor had no issue with it. Now owning my own school, if my student came to me & said, "I want to also train in BJJ," they'd go with my blessing.

For me, the key would be the student's honesty with me. I'd be upset if I found out after they'd been doing it awhile...or worse, finding out second hand.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

My only thing about a student wanting to cross train is "how different is what they want to train in than what we do here?" 20 years ago, as an assistant at a TKD school, I began also training across the street at a boxing gym. Because it was quite different in technique than TKD, my instructor had no issue with it. Now owning my own school, if my student came to me & said, "I want to also train in BJJ," they'd go with my blessing.

For me, the key would be the student's honesty with me. I'd be upset if I found out after they'd been doing it awhile...or worse, finding out second hand.

Happens a lot i find. When it is the same style people decide to train in at 2 different dojo's baffles me and i don't know why they do it.

If I went to train in another style of karate then i would check with my sensei first, then I would tell the head of the other school of my training in the other style.

But if it is a different martial art, I would still tell the owner of that school so that they are aware

1. Loyalty is earned, not demanded or bought.

2. Out of respect for your instructor let him/her know your intentions rather than keep it a secret. Transparency is always the best policy.

8)

Edited by ninjanurse

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Personally I like to focus on one style to prevent confusion on techniques, but to each their own. Would also think that it would get expensive to pay tuition to multiple schools.

Agree with others to let the instructors know first. Any decent instructor should be fine with it and some will likely appreciate having a student with a more diverse MA background.

Edited by hammer

My short answer...I've no issue with this at all!!

If it'll increase ones MA betterment, then I'm all for it. They're my students, and in that, I don't own them; they're free to train in whatever and with whomever they choose.

:)

I agree 100%

If they increase in skill, they will have more to bring to the table and will be a bigger asset to the dojo.

If they end up leaving, they were probably not getting what they wanted from the first instructor in the first place.

They may be students, but they are still people and have free right to train as they please.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I think it's okay as long as 1. your Sensei is made aware 2. It's for a good reason. As someone above me said, if your dojo doesn't have enough classes per week to fit your needs, that's fine if you go to another school to get some more training in when you can't.

Also, as I said if it's for a good reason, I was in the same boat when I was 16. My dojo does LOTS of Kata practice (every class actually, it's fantastic), and only 1-2 sparring classes per week. I had signed up for a tournament that was a good 2-3 months away. I would be competing in Kata and Kumite. So I signed up for some temporary TKD classes because they have some pretty awesome kicks, and my style of Matsubayashi Ryu doesn't work a lot of kicks at all. So where I felt confident in Kata, I was feeling uneasy about competing in Kumite on my normal schedule. Obviously, my Sensei was made aware and I ended up taking first place in Kata and second place in Kumite.

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

Happens a lot i find. When it is the same style people decide to train in at 2 different dojo's baffles me and i don't know why they do it.

If I went to train in another style of karate then i would check with my sensei first, then I would tell the head of the other school of my training in the other style.

But if it is a different martial art, I would still tell the owner of that school so that they are aware

My question is, why? I think its the student's choice as to what they consume as a customer, isn't it? As an instructor, I really don't think I have the right to know which stores they shop at, or if they learn Martial Arts elsewhere. My only job is to mark their progression through the style I teach them, and make sure they are doing things the way we do them in our gym. That's really my only job as an instructor. If they have the time to devote to training multiple styles, then kudos to them. Take advantage of it, because it won't always be there.

My question is, why? I think its the student's choice as to what they consume as a customer, isn't it? As an instructor, I really don't think I have the right to know which stores they shop at, or if they learn Martial Arts elsewhere. My only job is to mark their progression through the style I teach them, and make sure they are doing things the way we do them in our gym. That's really my only job as an instructor. If they have the time to devote to training multiple styles, then kudos to them. Take advantage of it, because it won't always be there.

Smart answer- you touched on something in a way no one else has. Though there are feelings involved and friendships developed, there is also a business relationship going on. Your taking my money and giving me what I pay for. Should I feel guilty for wanting to spend more money training?

It's hard to reconcile loyalty when you are at the paying end of the business model.

And like others have said, you want to train 4 days a week and your teacher only teaches 2, do you suck it up or look to fulfil yourself.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK