• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shin Pad Recommendations

ZenPilot

I did a little research and queried other students before buying all my kumite gear. I’m pleased with all my choices except for the shin pads. I went with the “Rolls Royce” of the other items, but for shin protection, kept it simple and went with the basic cloth/elastic shin pads. My reason was that the elastic shin pads will not slip or move around during kumite.

However, after several sessions and having taken a few good kicks that have numbed my leg or feel to have bruised the bone, I plan to look at other shin pads. As I have protective footwear, I need the shin only (no instep). What shin pads get the best feedback for protection/comfort/staying in place?

Following are a couple ideas; what are the group’s thoughts?

http://www.supplementwarehouse.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=14126903&AccID=99149&PGFLngID=1&gclid=CJTaqeuH4b8CFbPJtAodV1kAXg

http://www.revgear.com/product/pro-spar-shin-guard/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The mistake a lot of martial artists make is using what I call "Football Looking Shin Pads." They have some padding but have a hard shell. They are not designed for martial arts. The shell might dissipate some of the shock, and with a small impact area they have some effect. But believe me, unless you have shins like a Thai Boxer; shin on shin or even shin on forearm punishment can leave your legs sore. For Continuous Kumite I have used the cheap sock shin pads; and as you say they are almost useless. I recommend dipped foam shin pads, you can get them with a double re-enforcing layer too. Mine came from Blitzsport Uk and I have no complaints.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

My old instructor favored Tigear shin guards, and I've heard that Windy makes some excellent ones. I just use Shockwave shin/instep pads, which are just enough to take the edge off.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Depending on how much contact you intend to make with the shin, I'd recommend the dipped foam type. I've been using the same set of Macho Warrior shins for years now. Prior to that I used their old Dyna shins . Not a massive fan of dipped foam gear in general but cannot complain at all about the shin pads.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Personally, I'm old school with the simple cloth shin pads. They're hard to get off once I've been wearing them for some time; sweat tends to weld them onto my skin.

I do like the Century MA foam pads with the Velcro straps; easy on and easy off, but they tend to turn while engaging on the floor, and I don't like it when my shin pad becomes a calf pad...drives be nuts.

Good luck with your search for the idea shin pad!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If karate go for ones that are WKF (World Karate Federation) Approved. The are of high quality and last for ages.

And if you decide to compete anywhere in the world they should be accepted.

Also the instep is removable, so you can just use the shin guard portion of it.

I use them at my dojo and they are really good.

Depending on how much contact you intend to make with the shin, I'd recommend the dipped foam type. I've been using the same set of Macho Warrior shins for years now. Prior to that I used their old Dyna shins . Not a massive fan of dipped foam gear in general but cannot complain at all about the shin pads.
FYI, for anyone considering Warrior vs Dyna, the Warrior Shins have an extra layer of foam padding over the impact area. You get close to double the protection but also a bit more bulk.

Regarding the Rev Gear Pro Spar Shin Guard linked in the original post, I believe they're vinyl sewn over foam. They're not as dense as Rev Gear's kickboxing shins. I don't have one handy, so I'm going from memory, but I think they're more dense than the Warriors, but they're thinner, so I'm not sure they're more protection. WKF shins can vary from brand to brand, but in general, they might offer similar protection. Rev gear is here in Southern California. If they're not readily available in the UK, I recommend looking for something that is.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

FYI, for anyone considering Warrior vs Dyna, the Warrior Shins have an extra layer of foam padding over the impact area. You get close to double the protection but also a bit more bulk.

That's a good point. I'd also add that for many people (out of my peers) the Warriors tend to fit better because of this. The Dyna pads have a strip of foam running the length of the inside which gives you the protection. On the other hand the Warriors have a smooth inside and all the padding (double thickness) is on the outside of the pad. It might not seem like much but as a result the Warrior shin is a smooth curve on the inside whereas the Dyna shin is a curve with a ridge down the centre. Because of this IMO the Warriors mould to your shin better and are a closer fit. The elastic strapping is the same length on both sets of pads so if you do have slightly bigger calves, the Warriors will fit better because they will mould better to your shins.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thanks for the above replies and feedback. I'll take a look at some of the suggested choices.

I want good protection, but not at the cost of having to stop every 5 minutes to readjust the pads. Actually, the elastic pads fit great and stay on place; maybe I'll look at other elastic variants that may have thicker padding than the basic Blitz offering.