• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Returning after a heart attack.

Lordy

And of course, listen to your body! If it tells you to stop or continue or slow down, then do what your body is telling you.

You see, I'm 57 years old this October 18th, and this year I've not been on a pity party, but I've had to learn to be perfectly honest with myself, and in that, I'm no longer that young man that I use to be.

And, I'm not anybody else who's my age or older...I'm me, and I don't want to be like everyone else. When my time on the floor is over, then my time on the floor will be over. I love the MA with all of my heart and soul; it's all I know, it's all that I'm good at. But at times, the floor robs precious time away from me spending time with my loved ones and friends; time that can't be returned to me.

Our Dai-Soke didn't have a heart attack, but he had two strokes within a short time span, and the second one killed him. He tried to return to the floor, but he couldn't, and we all could tell that it was literally killing him to not be on the floor; doing what he loved and what he was the best at!! My family medical history has stroke as it's number one killer, and when my Dai-Soke suffered two, I was, and still am, beside myself across the board.

Sorry for my rant. I said all of that to say this...take your time in your recovery and please, listen to your doctor(s) and when you're ready, the floor will welcome you back with open arms.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks Sensei.

That's a solid post. If I'm honest I know deep down that there's a chance I'll never be able to return. However, at the moment working towards it is one of the things that's keeping me really motivated. My biggest motivation however is making sure that I'm around to watch my children grow up.

If I can't come back then so be it. Should know more after Thursday. Seeing my heart consultant, so fingers crossed :)