• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your training outside the dojo

How and what do you practise when you are not in the dojo and on your own?

I practise for at least one hour every day. It is all that my daily schedule allows for because family and work takes the rest of my time. Anyway, I divide my practise time like this:

20min: stretching, all kicks in each direction, First slow then fast. Kick/punch combos

40-45min: kihon kata, 3 kata of my choice, applications for 2 kata.

Each day I change my focus to different kata and practise everything I know once a week, usually Friday because Saturday I'm at the dojo.

How about you?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I train often on Mondays and Wednesdays in class. But outside of the dojo i do kihon everyday with the exception of Saturdays and Sundays.

Then I do combinations (Kihon Ido Ich, Ni & San) and kata everyday with the exception of weekends.

I do Bunkai on Tuesdays and thursdays

I teach twice a week and try my best to train at other Dojo's twice a week, at work we have a gym with a studio so I mix up gym work followed by Kata, I also work on new combinations I want to introduce into my lessons that I teach.

If i'm lucky I will get 4-5 hours worth of gym/Karate a week.

Other than that it's just bits and pieces at home, my whole family does Karate so it's no shock to see me training in the garden...

I don't set aside time for it, but I do at least a little training every day, and it's usually scattered in bits and pieces throughout the day. A kata here, some bagwork there, things like that. I try to always work Naihanchi Shodan, at least, every day, and rotate through my other kata. I do, occasionally, do a longer 1-2 hour workout, but they aren't planned in advance.

Edited by Wastelander

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Outside the dojo...

I run 2-3 times a week, might change this to 2 a week and swim 1 or 2 times ... might, to be honest I'm really not feeling this as a change I can commit to !

...and currently I'm in the process of converting my man cave to a mini dojo to do some work!

Kick bag, chin bar, sit up bench makiwara board and so on.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

my schedule is convenient in that if I have time to train on a day, I also have the opportunity to go to the gym and take a class. If I don't feel like training in a class I usually train alone in the dojo, or if I have a lot of time i might train alone and go to a class after. It's usually an hour of bag work with some shrimping/bridging and breakfalling worked in.

if I'm away from the gym I try to find time and space to shadow box, ideally filming it to look for mistakes.

I usually do 4 days a week in the dojang. On those days the only training I will really do at home is just a bit of stretching and maybe light running through of techniques. I then try to get in 2 days at the gym and save the extra day as a rest day. Really need to sort a proper programme out for the gym though as I tend to just alternate between a cardio day (pool or maybe rowing/bikes/eliptical) and a strength day (either upper or lower body). I'm sure I'd see better gains, especially on the strength, if I had a better schedule.

Unfortunately I also travel for work and stay away from home a lot too. On the nights when the hotel doesn't have a gym, I have to try to do bodyweight exercises and/or run through techniques in my room.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

At home, for the most part, I'll run through all empty-handed Kata's and drill my wooden dummy!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Im luck enough to have a little dojo at home with a 6-foot heavy bag, kick shields, thai pads etc etc, so a lot of my training focuses around using this as well as doing cardio/weights and bodyweight circuits.

Other than that, I try to drill basics as well as technique every other day. Kata is a big one.

I do a lot of weapons related training at home, specifically Arnis training and some kobudo.

I do some running, but its winter now so no swimming for me (can't wait for summer!)

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Not enough room at home to do much and I can only get to 2 classes a week. Have a half marathon in a few weeks that I've been training for which has involved 5 runs a week and upwards to 40 miles/week. Once that's done I'll cut back on the running, would like to settle down to 3 to 4 runs and about 20 miles/week. Need to set aside more time for strength training, though...that's been lacking.

Does anyone have an individual program of floor exercises that they do in a smaller space without much equipment? Looking for something that will build up overall strength and that has a good amount of core work.