"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the support, everyone! Part of the reason I'm so nervous is that I know it will be a very difficult and demanding test, and my health has been quite poor since November. I've been dealing with unexplained motion sickness and fatigue since then, and no doctors have been able to figure it out, so I haven't been able to train the way I feel I need to. Objectively, I know that I can only do the best I can do when the time comes, but I always put pressure on myself to do better.

As far as what will be on the test, I know the curriculum items that will be included:

• 66 kihon waza

43 self defense techniques, demonstrated in the air and on an attacker

19 kata, and applications for them

7 yakosoku kumite drills, both attacking and defending roles

There will also be questions on history, philosophy, details of movements and body mechanics, etc. My Sensei also knows that I know kata outside of the curriculum, and may ask me to demonstrate them, along with possibly asking me to demonstrate applications. I suspect he will ask me to do a kobudo kata, as well. I've never seen one of his shodan tests, before, so I really don't know what to expect--the only thing I have to go by is the one shodan test I was an attacker for at my old dojo. I expect to be nitpicked on form until it drives me crazy, made to do things over and over again for minute mistakes, and asked to do strange things (like backwards kata with push-ups every three moves, or something), all to try and make me give up. Then, of course, I have to spar everyone on my testing panel after everything else, when I'm completely exhausted.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the support, everyone! Yesterday was a long day, and I'm sore all over, today, but I passed!

http://s10.postimg.org/4noq0bry1/noah_sensei_poage_2.jpg

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Congrats to you; feels good, huh?? When you first posted this news, and from what I know about you through this media, I had no doubts that you'd pass...and guess what, you passed. Sorry for not chiming in sooner to wish you much success in your upcoming Shodan test!!

CONGRATS!!

Btw, now it's time for you to update your KF signature area to reflect your Shodan!!

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

:karate: WELL DONE WASTELANDER!!! :up: I bet you're still on cloud 9. Really chuffed for you, always good to hear someone getting something they've worked hard for. :bowofrespect:

Mo.

Be water, my friend.