• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I guess it's really happening...

My shodan shinsa (1st degree black belt test) is set to be held in just 10 days, unless it has to be postponed. One of my dojo-mates, who is also supposed to test, broke his foot at Nationals and is willing to test with a brace, but my instructor is considering either testing him separately in 6 weeks, or pushing everyone's test out 6 weeks. To be honest--and I feel selfish saying it--I would rather not wait. One month out from our test date, the reality of the upcoming test hit me, and I don't really want to feel that for 6 more weeks!

The rank of shodan carries with it a very interesting paradox. On one hand, it is literally the "beginner level," and rank really means nothing, anyway. On the other hand, most people seem to believe that the standards for earning a black belt should be rather high, and the test for shodan should be the most difficult rank exam. If you believe the first, then you should not believe the second, and vice versa, and yet it seems that the vast majority are somehow able to believe both. It's both interesting and terrifying, to me, because I'm having a hard time reconciling both aspects of it.

I'm very nervous about the test--I'm absolutely dreading it, really. That feeling of dread tells me that I care about doing well in the test and earning the rank of shodan. At the same time, my dread is compounded by the fact that I don't WANT to be driven by rank. It also doesn't escape my notice that the vast majority of people who say "rank doesn't matter" already hold black belt ranks, for whatever that's worth. Perhaps I'm having this inner conflict because I'm still supposed to care about rank? I'm really not sure.

Sorry for the rambling, everyone--I ramble on when I'm nervous!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on qualifying. I'm sure you'll do great, regardless of the date.

Keep us posted!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Good luck for the grading :)

TBH, I believe that both is possible. Black belt (Shodan) is the beginning and technically it is the hardest exam up to that point (comparing it to the kyu gradings) - just like 1st kyu was harder than 2nd kyu etc. But because you will have had more practice, time and experience between the two grades (and in turn exams), you should be as equally prepared for it as you were for the previous exams.

It's all about skills and mental mind set :)

Well at least in my opinion...

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

...I'm very nervous about the test--I'm absolutely dreading it, really. That feeling of dread tells me that I care about doing well in the test and earning the rank of shodan. At the same time, my dread is compounded by the fact that I don't WANT to be driven by rank. It also doesn't escape my notice that the vast majority of people who say "rank doesn't matter" already hold black belt ranks, for whatever that's worth. Perhaps I'm having this inner conflict because I'm still supposed to care about rank? I'm really not sure...

Rank doesn't matter but at the same time it does :) It depends on how you feel about it, who you talk to and in what situation.

The same thing can be said about a degree, a car, a screwdriver, anything really...

Me, I'm proud of my rank. I earned it, do I really care what others say re rank? No, I can see their point of view of course, after all everyone is entitled to their own opinions :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

I can't blame you for not wanting to wait longer to complete the exam. If you end up being the sole one being graded so be it.

Your instructor can test him when physically he is able to without injury.

Yes, it's an exciting time for you, and well earned! So, not wanting to put it off any longer than it must is nothing to sweat over. Why? You'll sweat soon enough during your test... :P Sorry, I couldn't resist, it was a hanging curve ball, so to speak... :)

In all seriousness, you've more than proven you're worthy of the test, your Sensei knows that, too. Being overly nervous is a natural reaction for someone who understands the gravity and meaning of what s/he is about to do (in this case, for you, a Shodan test). Your Sensei expects that you will make a few silly mistakes that can be attributed to nerves and not lack of skill.

Focus... It'll be awesome... All of us here at KF know you'll perform awesomely and leave everything you have on the floor...

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

I remember being so nervous for mine as well. But because of that, I trained harder than I ever had for the months leading up to it. And by the time the test came, it was my best performance ever. If it were a written exam, I would have aced it!

Just trust your knowledge and approach it as another training session. As far as being driven just by rank, realize that it isn't the "belt" or "rank" that you've been chasing. It's everything that goes into earning it! The knowledge, discipline, honor, etc. Not just the fabric of the belt. But all of the good things that go into earning that rank is what you're chasing.

Be confident, and you'll do fine!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

... so this was Posted on the 16th...today is the 17th...9 days to go!

No pressure! ;-)

Good luck sir!

You'll be fine, you have been doing what you do for ages, you have passed everything to to date, shown by the simple fact you face yet another such test, ...so another day in the office then!

;-)

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.