• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A test of Character

Hello

In the recent thread about Kensei's "Odd experience", the point was raised about good character being part of the requirement to be a black belt.

This kept me coming back to the idea that if it's a requirement it should be on the test.

Naturally the next question is, what is good character and how do you test for good character in the context of a bb exam?

So my questions to you:

What traits constitute good character to you?

What test would you give to demonstrate each trait (or for those who actively include this aspect what test's do you give already).

I value:

Honesty

Unselfishness

Test for honesty: during point sparring, deliberately give points to the examinee that were scored by the opponent and see if he corrects you.

Test for unselfishness: give one set of raggedy uncomfortable smelly armour/gloves/headgear and one new set. With many opportunities to change gear, see if he volunteers to take the smelly kit or if he hogs the new stuff.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think this should be judged before they are allowed to test, someone who is rude, dishonest, etc shouldn't really get to Shodan. But if the examiners are bad then they will.

i think its wrong to try and test for this and i would have chosen the new kit as i don't want to wear someone else's smelly stuff...

I think this should be judged before they are allowed to test, someone who is rude, dishonest, etc shouldn't really get to Shodan. But if the examiners are bad then they will.

i think its wrong to try and test for this and i would have chosen the new kit as i don't want to wear someone else's smelly stuff...

I agree with this!

My instructor doesn't allow people to grade if he doesn't feel they have earned the promotion.

A lot of these tests happen on a daily basis and many of these become what actually repairs issues. Someone who doesn't want to work, gets forced to work and they value it because of the cost. Or they work out their issues with authority or they realize how much more is expected with higher rank and they stop chasing it.

If you are waiting until te grading to find out I they are dishonest, it's too late.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

mal103 and cheesefrysamurai nailed it, in my opinion. If you were to ask the instructors at my dojo, or (I suspect) most traditional dojo, they would tell you that you are being tested every single day. The "official test" is really a pressure test. They already know that you know the material, and have the skill, experience, and personal qualities required for the rank you are testing for. What is being tested is your ability to demonstrate those things in a short period of time under a great deal of physical, mental, and emotional stress, without giving up. The character portion is something that can't really be tested in a short period of time, in any effective way that I can think of, and it should most definitely be evaluated way before you are allowed to test.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Character is important, and hopefully one can see it here and there during classes, in how students interact with each other, before, during, and after classes.

I think paper writing of the things important to each person, what they've learned in their time in the Martial Arts, etc, can help to bring out the character of the students.

Background checks don't hurt, either.

mal103 and cheesefrysamurai nailed it, in my opinion. If you were to ask the instructors at my dojo, or (I suspect) most traditional dojo, they would tell you that you are being tested every single day. The "official test" is really a pressure test. They already know that you know the material, and have the skill, experience, and personal qualities required for the rank you are testing for. What is being tested is your ability to demonstrate those things in a short period of time under a great deal of physical, mental, and emotional stress, without giving up. The character portion is something that can't really be tested in a short period of time, in any effective way that I can think of, and it should most definitely be evaluated way before you are allowed to test.

Completely agree !!!

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

While it's nice that folks are contributing, I raised this in a new thread in order to be a separate discussion from kensei's thread.

What traits do you guys value in a person's character?

What will you let slide and what is a complete red card?

It's easy to say you value good character, but without a definition it's just words and waffle.

The testing part was just my analytical side coming out, feel free to ignore.

• 2 weeks later...
Naturally the next question is, what is good character and how do you test for good character in the context of a bb exam?

What traits constitute good character to you?

What test would you give to demonstrate each trait (or for those who actively include this aspect what test's do you give already).

Good Character to be honest can be seen very broadly.

At my dojo we look at those who have determination to achieve their best and have the honesty in their actions.

During the course of the grading we look for their attitude that embodies black belt.

We watch candidates for Shodan-Ho and dan grades before and after the grading for their attitude and commitment.

After my grading, I was absolutely wrecked and could barely stand but I still helped everyone off that mat and to pack up the mats before collapsing from the pain and exhaustion. One thing Shihan had said to me privately recently (He held a Masterclass for the Black Belts, and a few 2nd + 1st Kyu's) about my grading was that I was the only one to show the qualities of a black belt that truly deserved to be a yudansha and that he sees great potential in me and that I truly embody what it means to be a Goju karate practitioner.

So the willingness to help others, kindness, perverseness, determination and commitment are traits I want to see in every candidate among with other traits.

We purposefully make the grading difficult for everyone so all the traits come out.

Even at the grading if you give 100% and if you make mistakes but still give it your all then you will pass. But you have to make those mistakes look good or even if you show emotion throughout the grading it shows that you know what you did wrong and fires you up even more.

Sensei said that the gradings go into more of a formality the higher you go through your dan grades, but do them to ensure that you truly want to go for that rank and not just receive it. It helps keeps you motivated and strive for the next one.

One thing I also want to see is candidates being positive and encouraging others.