• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Being A Senior Dan!!

The following is my own opinion and belief, and in that, I'm not trying to be in concert with any other governing body, style, and/or practitioner of the MA concerning this subject.

Having said that...

I was once asked..."What’s it like being a Senior Dan?"

I’ve never really thought much about being a Senior Dan; I just trained all these many, many years! Somebody once also asked me, “What is it like to be near the founder?” Again, I never thought much about that either, if anything, I’ve just trained with Saitou Sensei for quite some time!

Sure, I do realize that, for the time being, I am the most Senior Dan in Shindokan, Kudan (2013), but with that being said, it’s nothing special! I don’t wear it like a badge of something or another, or that I am that great, or more special than anyone else, or anything like that! I’m a martial artist, and in that, I’m complete in my totality.

Being a Senior Dan does have its privileges and advantages, both in and out of the Shindokan circle. Doors of opportunities are much easier to open, whereas, those Dan’s with much lesser knowledge and experience, their doors of opportunities have to be forced open. Nonetheless, styles outside of the Shindokan circle become more acceptable, as well as forgiving, whenever I approach them over a myriad of subjects because of me being a Senior Dan. Surely, it does benefit me that I’m also the current Kaicho [President] of the Shindokan Karate and Kobudo Association, aka, the Shindokan Hombu. Untold opportunities were afforded me because I was a Senior Dan who was a staunch proponent of Shindokan.

Being a Senior Dan, on a more lighter note, permits me to line-up at the front and center within any Shindokan dojo, however, when visiting any dojo, and not just Shindokan dojo’s, I’ll line-up at the very end of any given line of protocol until I’m invited to sit elsewhere by said dojo’s Chief Instructor. Also, I delegate all assignments to all Dan Instructors under my charge, and in that, I supervise the floor with all ranks, and not just with the Yodansha’s no matter the occasion.

What I do consider important and personal to me of my Senior Dan has allowed me the understanding of diplomacy. Other things allowed of my Senior Dan status are the distinctive responsibility to “handle”, thereby, to be very extremely close to Soke and/or Dai-Soke. With that comes having the ability of “being in the room” behind closed doors with Soke and/or Dai-Soke, whereas others might or might not even allowed to cast their shadows on said door. In which, that privilege is decided by Soke and/or Dai-Soke. That most inner circle is reserved for those who have proven themselves worthy of an audience during private, sensitive, and/or casual meetings with Soke and/or Dai-Soke. My Senior Dan status has also granted me an untold amount of personal and private training with either Saitou Sensei and/or Takahashi Sensei; invaluable floor time to increase my martial arts betterment. With high rank comes high responsibilities; none taken lightly by myself because the student body deserves that attention.

In retrospect, being a Senior Dan also has its pitfalls and disadvantages. Often times, I’m not treated like “one of the boys”. No! I’m handled with kid gloves; quite carefully, as though my status demands that, and it doesn’t. When I walk onto a Shindokan floor, the students’ laughter and the like ceases immediately instead of it slowly dying down more naturally. Students’ techniques are akin to a being a robot; quite stiff at first. It’s like students are more cautious in their techniques instead of letting their techniques be more fluid.

Conversations will cease to a faint whisper when I’m near enough to hear. Their body language changes drastically whenever I’m near, especially on the floor. There’s no need for this. I’m a big loveable teddy bear on the floor. I don’t scream or yell or give into temper tantrums because the floor is sacred to me, and any inappropriate actions lessen the importance of the floor!!

Is the way I perceive, a sign of respect? That’s for the individual to determine, and not for me to say. I can only assume, but perception is reality, and in that, I perceive that I’m on an island all by myself with no boat of resolve. Respect is earned, and I never demand respect for me being a Senior Dan and/or for me being the current Kaicho!

My Senior Dan has made me a target within the guarded and closely knit circle of Shindokan. How so? Ever since the passing of Dai-Soke, the wolves have come out of their hiding to feast on my bones, so to speak, so that they can advance upward the hierarchy ladder one rung at a time. Over time, I’ve ridden a carnival of accusations from those that I trusted the most within the hierarchy of the Shindokan Hombu. Each time, I’ve been vindicated through some very heated battles in and out of the boardroom. Our Legal Team, lead by Hugh Beckworth, has literally championed on my behalf each and every time; victoriously over those who had set their sights directly on me as their treasured target.

Being on the top of the mountain is a sojourn; lonely that it is. In that, I’ve come to only train hard, and anything else that I’ve had bestowed upon me hasn’t been because I’ve desperately sought after it.

Being a Senior Dan is what one makes of it, and in that, I sincerely pray that I’ve made the best of it these near 50 years, this October. Again, my soul premeditated whole reason is to train in the martial arts, primarily, Shindokan, to the very best of my abilities, while hopefully increasing my own betterment, thereby, embracing the entire Shindokan student body. Rank is always the last thing on my mind, if at all!!

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thank you for your insights on this. I was once the senior American student of my first master (years ago), but he had taken over the school from someone else: gaining plenty of senior BB's when he did. I never was in the position of being senior student under him, in any capacity.

I do, however, have a friend who is the #2 man in his system (70 years old & has trained for 50 years) , & he has told me what it's like from his perspective. Like you, he mentioned "perks" of being the senior. Like you, he wasn't always comfortable with it. He told me that it's very odd never touching his own suitcase again, once he showed up to an event (as juniors would trip over themselves to help him). He mentioned how rarely felt like "one of the boys" among his training partners. It's why, he told me, he liked spending time training with me. Since I wasn't in his system, we could share ideas and be relaxed with one anther. Had I been in his system, I would not have been relaxed, I'm sure. He told me that when his master died, there was a clamoring of high-ranked students begging the master to rank them up with his dying breath. Then after, a constant asking of my friend for the same thing.

After speaking with him & reading your thoughts, I don't envy either of you in the least. I'm happy to be where I am & enjoy helping out where I can.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Thank you!

I really enjoyed reading this.

Never really thought about what it must be like at the "top"

This post adds much needed perspective

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

Yes, thank you very much for the insight, Bob. While many of us may be amongst the "senior" students at our dojos (I am the ranking "senior" student at my dojo under our current CI), it is definitely not the same as being a Senior Dan. Your insight gives a glimpse of what our MA journeys may be like in the future. Thank you for that. :up:

IMHO, your insight shows that no matter how much of the ridiculous "dojo politics" stack up against you, as long as you allow your values and your art speak for themselves on the floor (where words and arguing aren't necessary), you will come out of it all OK. That means A LOT to those of us making our own way while trying to remain true to our values...

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Great post Bob - nice to see your insight.

Ps have you ever thought about a blog?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Ditto. It would be fun to read.

I think the respect the students have for you is what causes this change in actions and attitude when you are present. Its good, and its bad. Its professional, and in that, it fails to become personal.

I'm curious, do the classes warm up to you after a time? Do things loosen up a bit after a warmup? Do you joke with them a bit, invite them to interact with you? Does this help to loosen the atmosphere a bit? I'm just posing questions here. I remember we had a pretty good time together training, and I can't imagine it not going that way with your other dojos.

I've thought about it, but, to be perfectly honest, I've no idea on how to even start a blog. Remember all, I'm not the smartest when it comes to that sort of stuff!! Not an excuse, just reality to me!!

:brow:

I'm curious, do the classes warm up to you after a time?

Yes, they do!! But, some dojo's take longer than others. However, the kid gloves stay on most of the time.

Do things loosen up a bit after a warmup?

Yes, they do!! However, the higher ranks won't move unless I direct them. I might be loosened up, but others aren't.

Do you joke with them a bit, invite them to interact with you?

I joke with them a lot; right from the start. It'll still freak them out when they see me line up at the very last in the protocol line-up. However, the younger students will get a kick out of it, and they ALL will start talking to one another.

Yes, I can't teach them if I don't interact with them. Having said that, I'll interact with them on and off the floor, however, some maxims I won't violate.

Does this help to loosen the atmosphere a bit?

The tension relaxes, but it's still there from time to time. Depends on what's occurring on the floor; apprehension sets in from time to time, and I believe that that's the newness what we're training in, and they want to do their best.

I'll mess up, on purpose, a kata, and make a big deal about it by grapping my throat or pulling my hair or hanging myself with an imaginary noose. Kids and adults laugh, but at times, it's still a nervous laugh.

Having said all of that, those students that know me, and have been on the floor with me for some time, they're already fine. Those who haven't been on the floor with me but for a short time, they're on pins and needles.

I can please some of the people some of the time, but I can't please all of the people all of the time. It's students who try to handle me; that's a mistake because I don't like being handled. Conversations end abruptly, when I'm near, this hurts...it cuts deeply.

I do all that I can to lessen the anxiety and the like, but sometimes, the air is so thick with it that I can't breath. I've told everyone to relax and let's all just train. Don't treat me like I'm all that and a bag of chips because I'm not.

Do I know Shindokan...YES!! On and off the floor, I'm quite comfortable!!

:)