• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Ukemi one of the most important martial arts skills?

Hello all,

Despite the relative lack of a true ukemi (falling, and to a degree, rolling) system present in Kenpo Karate, throughout my studies, I have encountered a few artists who are particularly strong in this area (one in Aikido, the other in Danzan Ryu Jujitsu). On several occasions, we have discussed our beliefs that being able to successfully fall without hurting yourself is probably one of the most important and useful physical skills that you will learn in martial arts. Aside from being able to recover from being taken down or knocked over while fighting, ukemi has the potential for use in various other physical activities/sports and one's life in general. While in the context of martial arts it only plays one of many roles in your training, I can see myself using ukemi more often then any other (physical) skill I have learned in my training.

What about you guys? Do you incorporate formal ukemi into your system/training? Do you agree that it is one of the more invaluable fruits of martial arts training?

Van

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Our curriculum includes ukemi--not to the same degree as grappling arts, of course, but it is there. Since our system includes throwing techniques, you have to know how to fall in order to train. That said, ukemi is definitely the most useful thing you will learn in martial arts! I have not had to defend myself since I was in High School, but I can assure you that I have slipped and fallen more times than I can count!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I try to include it but most Dojo have hard floors and a lack of mats....

I also include getting up quick, including rolling away and springing to your feet, try to make a race out of it but few beat me to their feet.

Can also be a bit of a game for the kids as you tell them the end position like left leg forward, upper rising block, then see who can get their first and in the right position.

Certainly essential to know how to fall if you are going to entertain the idea of hitting back or enter competitions. When we did have the mats out I went through a couple of falls and a couple of students had done Judo years ago and were very good at it!

I have done ukemi in Aikido, Combat Hapkido, and some in TKD. However, I don't think of it as one of the most important aspects of the Martial Arts. I think there are other sports, like tumbling, that teach it better. Aikidokas tend to get rather skilled at it, as a result of the energy they provide each other in order to flow with their techniques. I think having a good base in it is important and helpful, but not the most important aspect of the Martial Arts out there.

Is it important...yes, of course. Do people make a bigger deal of it than they should...yes, of course.

In Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu I take alot of falls. Over my time I've learned that there are three things you can do to make them not hurt so much.

1. Tuck your chin to your chest (unless you're falling forward, lol). Not much is worse than hitting the ground only to have your head bounce off the mat (or floor) directly afterward.

2. Do not reach for the ground. Gravity works and the ground will find you just fine. You'll stub fewer fingers and receive fewer injuries this way.

3. When possible, maximize the surface area that hits the ground. The smaller the part of you that hits the ground, the more chance for injury. Slapping off helps a little with this.

In the end, it's my opinion that the endless repetitions of ukemi that many people practice are nearly pointless. It needs to be practiced in action, not statically.

This is speaking to ukemi in terms of breakfalls. If you're talking about ukemi in terms of accepting a strike, that's another discussion all together.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I'm with ps1 on this issue. They are important, yes. It's important to do things properly as to not get injured. However, banging away at rep after rep of breakfall from a position that you will hardly ever take a fall from is an exercise in futility.

Do a few, keep tuned up formally occasionally, and make sure that you or your students are conducting them properly during rolls, sparring, drilling, ect. Include it as part of the debrief on a match, ect. That will have far more effect that slamming yourself to the mat again and again.

|Totally agree, ukemi is a vital skill and on of the first we taught. Thing about it, how many times do you trip and fall, compared to how many fights you may have.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Yes, Ukemi skills are vitally important to the practitioners of any style of the MA. No matter the level of experience/knowledge, I'd say that the lack of embracing Ukemi is akin to a airplane pilot not knowing how to fly; the end result won't be a favorable one.

As practitioners of the MA, we need to experience every aspect of what we're learning or have already learnt. Can't appreciate the pros and cons of the MA unless one EXPERIENCES said technique, no matter how minute or complex.

Imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

We try at incorporate as much of it as possible depending on the amount of space available.

It does come in handy during classes and even in everyday life.

For breakfalls we have the following GOLDEN RULES that we can't break.

1) Tuck your chin in

2) When falling backwards arms at a 45 degree angle when your back lands. Which is to spread as much of the force out as possible instead of one single spot.

3) Don't put your arms out to help break the fall. It will only break your arm

I actively throw people and take them down during class to ensure that they are able to break fall in a way that they won't break their arm(s). Also very few try and succeed in throwing me so i get my practice as well. We even practice when we get tripped as well.

Forward breakfalls we can only really practice when it is a small class; along with sideways breakfalls