• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Comparing techniques of other styles

Our new Soshi sent out some information to get us to start thinking about comparable techniques from other styles to what we have in ours by a comparitive study.

He highlighted Tuite and Tegumi as a comparison to Hapkido and Judo.

He had taken Judo years ago and noticed the similarities between Judo throws and Tegumi (grappling, wrestling and takedowns). Recently He started taking Hapkido from one of his students that holds a Dan ranking in it and noticed that it had a lot of similarities to Tuite and Tegumi.

He sent pictures of the applications for comparison.

I have noticed this in other arts as well. My question is do you think they originally came from Karate or at some point in time did they become incorporated into Karate? Since Tuite and Tegumi date back to the original Te/Ti/Di styles of Okinawa I would think they probably came from Karate and were incorporated into these styles and either remained the same, changed or improved upon. What do you think?

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Personally I think that they originally came from other styles, but got incorporated into karate throughout the years. So eventually it became part of the art that is karate.

I think when Karate was still a young art, those who were teaching it picked up some of the skills from other schools and thought it would be important to utilize.

Technical similarities between different martial arts comes from how we are build, two hands two legs. So it is only limited amount of use of this limbs, therefore people using in in similar way.

We have different concepts of fighting like grappling, stand up, throws etc. all comes to how humans think. Some prefer to fight on the ground others to punch from distance or punch and kick. Within this groups concepts will be similar do to our anatomy.

Regards Les

Shin ai do - the way of true adaptability,

My blog http://shinaido.wordpress.com/

https://www.shinaidokarate.com

fb - Shinaidomartialarts