• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MMA Commentator Discusses Saifa Bunkai

Wastelander

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/fighting-motives-a-study-in-saifa--part-1

Jack Slack is arguably the most respected striking analyst in the MMA world, and he also happens to have a karate background. Over the years, he has quietly slipped comments about practical karate into his articles. Recently, he's been more open about it and, now, he has started a series that focuses entirely on the applications of a traditional kata--Saifa. I don't practice Saifa, but I am most definitely familiar with Taira Sensei's material, which he references frequently in this article. It's awesome to see practical karate getting publicity, and I can't wait for Part 2!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

And he's got an ebook on Fighting Karate...I think that's the title. Its likely the first ebook on martial arts that I will buy, as I'm a ink and paper traditionalist when it comes to books.

Slack's commentary on striking is something combat sport people and traditional striking arts people should pay attention to.

He is thought provoking even when you disagree with him. My favorite line, "Fighting is about lying to someone and hurting them when they believe you."

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Thanks for posting dude!

Been a member here for a while but don't stop in nearly as much as I should :P

I'm glad it was appreciated--the Fightland guys like culture pieces so I get a chance to do some history and traditional martial arts writing which I really enjoy :)

Glad you're here, Jack, and I'm happy to share! I actually share every karate-related article you write with some martial artists I know. For what it's worth, Masaji Taira Sensei's top Western student had this to say, about this article:

"It's great that there is serious discussion in the mma world regarding this type of topic. And the authors statement, "but if—like me—you don't believe in the performance of kata adding anything to your martial arts game, but rather in the kata as a historical document of ideas" is a point that needs to be brought out into the open and deserves serious consideration in my view."

Also, one of the people I shared it with is in one of the clips you used :P

I'm definitely looking forward to more articles like this from you. Your breakdowns are always interesting and thorough, and it's great to see karate--realistic, old-school karate--get some positive attention. Thanks!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Very well written article across the board, thank you for it, Jack!! The interpretations are well founded in your article, as well as throughout the MA world.

I, too, look forward to reading more of your insightful articles!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!