• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My Top 10 Applications for Nami-Gaeshi

Wastelander

In one of the karate study groups I am a part of, we recently had a discussion about applications for the nami-gaeshi (returning wave) movement found in Naihanchi, as well as some versions of Passai, Kusanku, Seisan, and more. I decided to set up my camera and quickly run through the first 10 applications I could think of. There were more, but they were too subtle to show in such a short video.

1. Ko-Soto-Gari (Minor Outer Reap)

2. Ko-Uchi-Gari (Minor Inner Reap)

3. Step-Around Throw Entry

4. Kick/Sweep Avoidance

5. Hagi-Uke (Shin Block/Kick Check)

6. Fumikomi-Geri (Stomping Kick)

7. Kansetsu/Yoko-Geri (Joint/Side Kick)

8. Mae-Geri (Front Kick)

9. Suki-Geri (Shovel Kick)

10. Hiza-Geri (Knee Strike)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Very nice!

I use some of them a lot in sparring. I love the Ko Soto Gari and the Suki Geri for sparring. I've never employed the step around throw entry with it, but I'll be working on that tonight!

Thanks for the video!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

Very nice!

I use some of them a lot in sparring. I love the Ko Soto Gari and the Suki Geri for sparring. I've never employed the step around throw entry with it, but I'll be working on that tonight!

Thanks for the video!

Thanks, and my pleasure! I definitely use this in sparring and randori with strikes, myself. The step-around throw entry works especially well for koshi-guruma (hip wheel) and kubi-wa (neck ring), but you have to be sure to take their balance, first. There is a variation of this where you can actually throw them with the step, itself, but it's too technical to show in such a short video. I'm interested to hear how it worked out for you in class!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Nice...You're having quite a lot of fun with training with the applications of Niahanchi...that's good because this is how one opens the door for Oyo.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

What about learning where your centre of mass is and therefore being able to move around it or suspend it with the minimum of movement - thus allowing a more immediate counter.

As I understand it, this is what nami gaeshi implies in most classical forms of Japanese budo.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

Very nice. Love the fact that your looking for the hidden applications in Kata's. Well done.

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.

What about learning where your centre of mass is and therefore being able to move around it or suspend it with the minimum of movement - thus allowing a more immediate counter.

As I understand it, this is what nami gaeshi implies in most classical forms of Japanese budo.

K.

Absolutely... :) Before we show our students any of the above uses for nami gaeshi (great video btw, Wastelander... :up: ), we teach our students that the primary basic concepts it helps develop are tanden and gamaku. Once they have developed those to some degree, then we combine them with developing the next concept, tenshin (body positioning/movement). After the students have developed these three concepts to an acceptable basic level, then we work with them on the fighting applications of these nami gaeshi movements.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

...we teach our students that the primary basic concepts it helps develop are tanden and gamaku. Once they have developed those to some degree, then we combine them with developing the next concept, tenshin (body positioning/movement).

To my way of thinking, these are the absolute reasons why this kata was described by Otsuka sensei as - "very deep"!

Great to try to find applications like this and, I mean no disrespect when I say this - but don't overlook the core reasons to practice the Kata in solo form.

Kata is kata - fighting is fighting.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

...we teach our students that the primary basic concepts it helps develop are tanden and gamaku. Once they have developed those to some degree, then we combine them with developing the next concept, tenshin (body positioning/movement).

To my way of thinking, these are the absolute reasons why this kata was described by Otsuka sensei as - "very deep"!

Great to try to find applications like this and, I mean no disrespect when I say this - but don't overlook the core reasons to practice the Kata in solo form.

Kata is kata - fighting is fighting.

K.

Yes, absolutely... :) Great response, K. :up:

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...