• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata for your style @ your school

Nidan Melbourne

Been a while since I have posted...

My style is "tong che bahk do" which is simply a name for a system of different martial arts for each level essentially!

We practice tang soo do/ shotokan karate, meaning we learn both, they are so close and basically learn the small differences. After blackbelt we train for second degree tong che bahk do, which in that level we learn Hun gar Kung fu exclusively. I enjoy that it isn't a mixture, it's more specifically full styles at different levels. We incorporate tai chi, boxing, northern long fist Kung fu, and more tang soo do as the levels progress.

Sorry to rant about my style but i felt it was pertinent info based on our forms.

Our forms are as shown to my level and beyond are...

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2CDCEF3404FC5CB6!5244&authkey=!AGPIFWF_oZNLFk4&ithint=file%2cpdf

I'm testing for black belt in September, my testing form is "bassai dae". At the risk of criticism of my style, or technique, here is me practicing bassai dae at my school. Never mind the kid in the background lol.

http://youtu.be/hF5emVDiFZo

Others should post videos, if there isn't a place for them already that is, I think it's a fun, interesting and trusting thing to do 😜

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your doing well Luther unleashed :)

thank you, i work very hard. some people just have a graceful look while doing forms, did t come natural to me so it was all hard work and practice to even look how i do, got some ways to go though before i woah the crowed huh? haha i enjoy self growth and thats gold enough for me.

is there a place where people post in the forum, just for videos? if not what do you guys think of the idea?

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

from a thread about Goju that is also in this karate portion of karate forums http://www.karateforums.com/goju-ryu-question-vt46953.html. What is your style and the kata that are core to your specific style and what are the kata that your school (where you train at) do?

Which kata does your school leave out?

If you train in a style that is relatively new what is the parent styles? And also which kata did you take from each style or did you create your own?

For instance at my dojo we are Goju-Ryu but have hijacked some kata from the Goju-Kai (Kai = organisation) to help our students learn maneouvering and the techniques.

Our kata for each rank is as follows

White - Taikyoku Jodan

Yellow - Taikyoku Chudan (similar to Jodan, except different block & chudan tsuki)

Orange - Taikyoku Gedan (shiko dachi Gedan Uke + gedan tsuki)

Red - Taikyoku Kake Uke

Green - Taikyoku Mawashi Ich

Purple - Gekesai Ich + Ni

Blue - Saifa

Brown - Seeiunchin

1st Brown - Seeiunchin

Shodan-Ho - Seeiunchin + Sanseru

Shodan - Sanseru + Seisan

Nidan - Seisan + Shisochin

Sandan - Shisochin + Seipai

Yondan - Seipai + Kururunfa

Godan - Kururunfa + Suparenpei

ALL Belts from Shodan-Ho up (for JUNIORS) MUST know Sanchin + Tensho

ALL Belts from Green Belt (ADULTS) MUST know Sanchin + Tensho

Now the first five kata (taikyoku kata) are from Goju-Kai which were developed by Yamaguchi Sensei.

Traditionally you learn (From Goju-Ryu) Gekesai Ich first and then build up from there. For us at our school we want our students to have an understanding of how to turn and use their body effectively for kata and parts of training.

The taikyoku kata in my eyes are a very good way of having students learn and make them think whilst doing kata. Especially when it comes to power and use of hips!

I would say the "core" katas at our Shorei-Ryu dojo are the Taikyoku ichi, ni and san (gedan barai, chudan uke, and jodan uke). These three katas are required in order to promote from white belt to yellow belt (along with other requirements). Without these katas the foundation of our style is not really obtained, and therefore all subsequent katas for further ranking are harder to really nail down. In my research of the history of our style, these three katas also appear to be the most consistent and the most "unctouched." Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

OSU!

I have spent my first years in the GoJu Kai, and there it's pretty much as NidanMelbourne describes. I'm in the IOGKF now, and there the Taikyoku katas are not practiced at all. I don't regret it because up until now I have not seen any bunkai behind the Taikyokus that I would find worth practicing, and imo they are tools to get people used to the concept of kata.

In Kyokushin there are some Taikyoku katas as well that only include kicks. That was interesting to learn, and going through a 2h session that is entirely focussed on these katas can be quite an experience, especially the day after. :D

OSU!

Just Karate

• 2 weeks later...
Wado-Ryu has nine central Kata. To paraphrase how Shingo Ohgami identified them;

Pinan Series > Kushanka (Kusanku/Kanku Dai)

Naifanchi (Naihanchi/Tekki Shodan) > Seishan (Seisan/Hangetsu)

With all coming to culminate in the lessons of Chinto kata, though I have heard in some circles that Seisan is taught after Chinto. Another interesting point I have heard is that nearer the end of his life Ohtsuka Meijin began to stop teaching beyond Seisan kata at all. Anecdotal evidence so I would not trust it, but I believe it illustrates how important he held these nine kata to be.

The Zenith of Wado kata is Chinto.

It is the natural progression on from Seishan and completes the circle. I understand that Otsuka certainly pared down the amount of Kata he taught toward the end of his teachings, but I've not heard anything about him putting Seishan to the top of the plie.

Chances are - if he didn't teach it that frequently, it was simply because he thought it was beyond most peoples ability to grasp.

This jouney and the understanding of Chinto is key to understanding the wokings of Wado-ryu's Kihon Kumite also.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

That is actually a typo, it should have said:

Another interesting point I have heard is that nearer the end of his life Ohtsuka Meijin began to stop teaching beyond Chinto kata at all.

It was just when I studied Wado-Ryu; I learnt Seisan after Chinto, so just a memory slip.

R. Keith Williams