• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju ryu question

kensei

As to the succession of leadership, following Chojun Miyagi's death. Yamaguchi named himself Miyagi's successor, and leadership of Goju Ryu in Japan (rather than Okinawa). If anything Miyagi's successor would have been Seko Higa. The senior surviving student upon Miyagia's death. In my veiw he's been rather 'air-brushed' from Goju Ryu's history. Following Higa's death we had a age dominated by four masters, each putting a case, but none establishing control. Yamaguchi, in Japan. Yagi, Toguchi and Miyazato, on Okinawa.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Personally I regard Seko Higa as the second headmaster of Goju Ryu - but that's just me.

i cant really find too much on him besides the same thing thts everywhere - trained with kanyro, trained with miyago, some say he was kicked out. - thats it.

did he teach?

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Personally I regard Seko Higa as the second headmaster of Goju Ryu - but that's just me.

i cant really find too much on him besides the same thing thts everywhere - trained with kanyro, trained with miyago, some say he was kicked out. - thats it.

did he teach?

As I said :

In my view he's been rather 'air-brushed' from Goju Ryu's history.

It's very hard to find info on him. A line here , a paragraph there....How important was he ? He was one of only two of Miyagi's students EVER given permission by Miyagi, and in Miyagi's life time to open up a Dojo teaching Goju Ryu.

This blog, by Sanzinsoo is a good starting point :

http://yamada-san.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Seiko%20Higa

I don't question what your saying. Lot of that sort of thing went on, tons of people always claim the lineage throne. he may have been one who felt it wasn't appropriate and bowed out of that race and practiced his art humbly. Who knows? There's nothing bad about him either. Simply states the barest of facts and conjecture. I think your probably right, seems like someone intended on him being forgotten.

What about his dojo?

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Seko Higa never made any claim. As I said, it's my personal opinion.

So, what i have learned about a local club is that it is Meibukan and they have several Kata that has never been taught by Miyagi. My questions is what order did Miyagi teach the Kata, does anyone know?

Even monkeys fall from trees

So, what i have learned about a local club is that it is Meibukan and they have several Kata that has never been taught by Miyagi. My questions is what order did Miyagi teach the Kata, does anyone know?

Im not sure tbh but probably someone here will know that has trained over at his dojo will know