• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flexibility

Solartic

Hello, I'm new to this forum so here's a quick introduction. My name is Kevin, I'm from the Netherlands and I've been practicing Shotokan Karate for about 3 months now. I'm nearyl 33 years old and have never done martial arts before (I used to be a swimmer and enjoyed mountainbiking).

Since I never had the need to kick I'm not very flexible in that way (I'm not very flexible in general for that matter :wink: ) so I'd like to know if there are some good exercises to help me improve. I know it's impossible to learn a split within two months so I'm looking at this realistically. It will take a while to get from white belt to black, so I was thinking it would be nice to gradually keep improving flexibility as a gain Kyu grades (and of course it would be nice to have those awsome kicks by the time I reach black belt :D )

So what kind of exercises can you guys advise me? And how often do I need to do them? I have no problem stretching daily, or even more times a day. I'm not looking to rush this but since I'm nearly 33 years old I'd like to take it very serious.

Thanks in advance!

Osu!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome!

I (re)started training at 36, and I've never been very flexible. But what I've been doing, and it has helped a lot, is to work on stretches for the hip flexors. My front kicks have benefited greatly. Also, instead of the traditional "stretch good before class" method, do a good warmup and slight stretch routine before class, and do a full stretch routine after a workout.

Youtube helps a lot!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

First off, welcome to KF! It's great to have you here!

There are a lot of ways to increase your flexibility. First, I would ask your Sensei how they do it. You've just started out so your flexibility will progress as you do.

After that, I suggest checking out Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, he has a great stretching regime that my school picked up (however, I think he incorporates ballistic stretching and you should ignore those stretches as they can tear at your muscles, I can't remember for sure)/

Also, try out some dynamic stretching techniques on days that you're not in class, they really help as well.

As for the frequency, the American College of Sports Medicine suggests that you stretch every major muscle group at least twice a week. You can do more, but don't overdo it.

Finally, if you want, try out some yoga classes, those will be very beneficial not only to your flexibility but also to your MA training.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Welcome to KF! :karate:

There are plenty of stretching routines out there that would probably help you out. Sang H. Kim has a book on stretching, as does Thomas Kurz. If you google them or search them on Amazon, you'll find the info. Your instructor may also have a stretching routine to help you out. Look into dynamic stretching, as well, for some good ideas. In general, work on some side splits and front split stretches anytime you are warm from a workout; after class is over is a great time to stretch.

Hope this helps out. Welcome aboard!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with what everyone has said so far. Also if you do any running for cardio stretch after a good run. Your muscles will be plyable then. Oh, and welcome to KF. :bowofrespect:

The most successful battle is the one in which you master yourself.

Hello and welcome to the forum. All the advice above is good, I would also add, get a book on Yoga. Simply start a little routine of stretching daily and expand from there, as you feel the areas you need to work at more.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

• 1 month later...

Double post

Edited by scohen.mma

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

Welcome! My old strength training coach for wrestling, who also trained every sports team in my school, used to halve us do a dynamic stretch/warmup before we do our workout, because it loosens you up and gets you warmed up and ready to move. Then after the workout, we had a cool down stretch where we focused on static stretching (reach and hold type thing) so we could focus on breathing. I felt great and never got injured!

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."