• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stretches to get my kicks high? Help!

Okay, so I'm already doing the splits daily to get further down. How do I stretch my hip flexors, because I've heard that they are the things that help you kick higher. And currently, I can only kick waist high. I've been needing help for 6 years now. Please give me all the information of stretches and possibly workouts that you know will help get my kicks higher.

I would like these stretches to be for sidekicks please.

Needing help with stretches. Look for my post.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you want to stretch your hip flexors static stretches alone won't cut it, you need to work in some dynamic stretches. You can find loads of useful dynamic stretches on YouTube. Get some ankle weights and do your kicks very slowly. I have had similar problems with kicks (mainly round house) and I'm seeing a marked improvement in my height.

M.

Be water, my friend.

As suggested, look up hip flexor stretches, and there should be plenty that come up. The "warrior lunge" stretch is a good one. You can also stand and hold your ankle with your hand from behind, and stretch it that way.

With that said, the hip flexor was never the issue for me and kicking higher. I did more split stretching than anything else, and that helped get my kicks higher.

Look up a book called Stretching Scientifically, by Thomas Kurz. I've heard lots of good things about it, and might be helpful to you.

Practice is always a good thing. The more you do it the better the easier it becomes.

Always push, but not to far,if its hurting it hurting for a reason!

Breath, always breath deeply and in a controlled fashion, try to stay as relaxed as you can!

It will come in time, its not a race!

;-)

Edit:

recalled another thread along the same lines, had a search for it, have a read:

http://www.karateforums.com/flexibility-vt46917.html

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• 1 month later...

There's a guy on youtube called kwonkicker. He has lots of videos that help with stretching, and kicking better overall. I got some great tips from him back when I was competing.

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

There is a fascination in martial arts concerning high kicks; they look good don't they! Wow! Just like the movies! In my opinion that's where they belong. Wow! A head kick! 3 points! Do you realize how vulnerable you are in that position? Your groin is in mid air, you have one foot at head height and your balance is easily broken. In real close quarter combat or in self defense, you only kick the head when it is brought down low or your opponent is on the ground. Just imagine throwing head kicks in a crowded multi opponent situation, it would be suicide. Even the masters of Karate only rarely throw high kicks, the higher you kick, the more power you lose. I would rather drop an aggressor with a hard thigh kick than attempt to reach his head while he is standing with all his body as a weapon. If you can achieve the flexibility of a gymnast; go for it, but don't imagine that it's the be all and end all if the martial arts.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

There is a fascination in martial arts concerning high kicks; they look good don't they! Wow! Just like the movies! In my opinion that's where they belong. Wow! A head kick! 3 points! Do you realize how vulnerable you are in that position? Your groin is in mid air, you have one foot at head height and your balance is easily broken. In real close quarter combat or in self defense, you only kick the head when it is brought down low or your opponent is on the ground. Just imagine throwing head kicks in a crowded multi opponent situation, it would be suicide. Even the masters of Karate only rarely throw high kicks, the higher you kick, the more power you lose. I would rather drop an aggressor with a hard thigh kick than attempt to reach his head while he is standing with all his body as a weapon. If you can achieve the flexibility of a gymnast; go for it, but don't imagine that it's the be all and end all if the martial arts.

That said, some consider martial arts as an endeavor of improving your health and body and pushing yourself to do things you couldn't before. Head kicks (and flexibility) being one of them. Besides, being flexible and able to kick high prevents you from injury when kicking lower. You'll be less likely to pull or tear something if you're more flexible.

There is a very good guide to stretching here: http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/flx3

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

If you want to stretch your hip flexors static stretches alone won't cut it, you need to work in some dynamic stretches. You can find loads of useful dynamic stretches on YouTube. Get some ankle weights and do your kicks very slowly. I have had similar problems with kicks (mainly round house) and I'm seeing a marked improvement in my height.

M.

This, although I'd work up to using the ankle weights. I have a love/hate relationship with rising side kicks...tough to get the height up, especially on my right leg, but there's nothing like them to loosen the hips up.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if there's anyone in the 45 and up crowd that can give any advice on increasing flexibility...been working on high kicks at close range in Kyokushin, and while I can get some results just buy doing the kicks with proper technique, there's a point where the lack of flexibility gets in the way.

Just wondering if there's anyone in the 45 and up crowd that can give any advice on increasing flexibility...been working on high kicks at close range in Kyokushin, and while I can get some results just buy doing the kicks with proper technique, there's a point where the lack of flexibility gets in the way.

see my earlier posts

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.