• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training sick

Does anyone else still train as usual when sick with a cold or fever?

For the sake of my teacher and fellows I don't go to the dojo but not training is out of the question. I practise and train without slowing anything down even when I have a cold, a fever or whatever else. I have even done it with the flu last winter.

The only difference I make is in how much water I drink . Training five or six days a week no matter how I feel seems to be working because since starting this routine I have quickly recovered from anything I caught.

My family thinks I'm nuts for not slowing down and resting but I feel worse if I just lay there and wait to get better. Another reason is that if I ever have to defend myself I will not be choosing what condition I will be at the time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It depends. I haven't been in a few weeks due to work, but I'm finally able to go tonight... and I have a wicked bad sore throat I've had for like 5 days...

So I'll probably skip. My instructor recently had a battle with cancer that left his immune system not that great, so the slightest sniffle or anything, I tend to stay home for his sake.

As for training on my own, I'll probably do it gently. Better to give my body the rest it needs and let it get better than push it when it wants rest and draw the illness out or cause it to get worse.

The only time I have ever slowed down was when I could not get up out of bed or when I was throwing up. Strangely I have always felt better after training through sickness. During colds I breathed more clearly and felt decongested. Fevers also went down a few minutes after I finished. I never worsened in any way and I could rest and sleep better afterwards too

I will train with a mild cold, but I'll excuse myself from partner work. Anything more serious, though, and I will rest, instead. Exercise can actually make you feel a bit better if you're a little sick, but there is a point where you're just wearing down your body's immune system too far. Listen to your body!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I have trained while sick in the past. I always found a good sweat really helped cleanse out a cold. But, I've gotten to where I am more likely to skip out of training at the gym, so I don't make others sick.

Does anyone else still train as usual when sick with a cold or fever?

For the sake of my teacher and fellows I don't go to the dojo but not training is out of the question. I practise and train without slowing anything down even when I have a cold, a fever or whatever else. I have even done it with the flu last winter.

The only difference I make is in how much water I drink . Training five or six days a week no matter how I feel seems to be working because since starting this routine I have quickly recovered from anything I caught.

My family thinks I'm nuts for not slowing down and resting but I feel worse if I just lay there and wait to get better. Another reason is that if I ever have to defend myself I will not be choosing what condition I will be at the time.

I take the same approach. Few things make me feel worse, mentally and physically, than not training or exercising. I have to be feeling very very low in order to not work out - even a 2 mile jog can provide a much needed boost in the way I feel.

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

The training is very important for keeping fit especially when sick. There is need of physical activity by moving the part of body.

First of all...Welcome to KF; Glad that you're here!!

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I've done it all...training, testing, teaching, etc...all while sick. However, if I was contagious, I stayed home so as to not infect anyone else. However, power naps helped me make through many days/nights.

Being the CI does have it's advantages; other BB's can cover for me when necessary!!

And yes, I've puked on the floor; once, on my Dai-Soke!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!