• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weight Training

It's definitely not bulk I'm trying to achieve, I'm 135lbs and am aiming more for lean muscle. I think women tend to be more lean anyway, unless they are taking some kind of enhancers which I'm not (unless protein powder counts) the weights came today so gonna try my circuit a couple times a week between classes. Also add in some hill walks. Hopefully I'll get the results I'm looking for. Thanks for all the replies guys, as always it's very much appreciated.

M.

Be water, my friend.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It's definitely not bulk I'm trying to achieve, I'm 135lbs and am aiming more for lean muscle. I think women tend to be more lean anyway, unless they are taking some kind of enhancers which I'm not (unless protein powder counts) the weights came today so gonna try my circuit a couple times a week between classes. Also add in some hill walks. Hopefully I'll get the results I'm looking for. Thanks for all the replies guys, as always it's very much appreciated.

M.

Adding bulk will be harder than you think; it's not something that'll just happen. Plus you're right in that women find it even more difficult to bulk up. In all honesty I think your workout is probably a good place to begin if you're doing nothing currently. If your want to know how others on the forum train, take a look at the training log as it might give you a few ideas:

http://www.karateforums.com/the-martial-artists-training-log-vt30246-4080.html

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

M.

Adding bulk will be harder than you think; it's not something that'll just happen. Plus you're right in that women find it even more difficult to bulk up. In all honesty I think your workout is probably a good place to begin if you're doing nothing currently. If your want to know how others on the forum train, take a look at the training log as it might give you a few ideas:

http://www.karateforums.com/the-martial-artists-training-log-vt30246-4080.html

Yeah, I'll defo have a wee look at that, lots of good ideas I'll bet. I went out to the garage for a circuit tonight, man I'm gonna be sore tomorrow. :o can certainly tell I've not been doing enough leg work, feel good for it though.

M.

Be water, my friend.

There is an interesting book; "Feel the Fear and do it Anyway." by Geof Thompson. Those who fear but act anyway are brave; those who claim to have no fear are fools. I find that walking up and down hill along with planking on an incline can help. Ballet raises with hand weights also help me a lot. The balance board and good kidney strength are also great assets for total spiderman conditioning.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

There is a long-standing misconception that muscle "bulk" causes slowness and inflexibility. Fast-twitch muscle fibers, which are the muscles you need to be explosive and strong, are the largest type of muscle fibers in the body, and therefore the bulkiest. What causes slowness and inflexibility is lifting slow and not doing enough/any stretching.

After adding barbell squats and deadlifts to my training, as well as working with a heavier (150lbs) heavy bag, my kicks definitely got stronger.

Thanks Wastelander, it's definitely conflicting opinions I've been getting from folk at work and in class too, i suppose I won't know for sure unless I try for myself. I think the squat jumps and high knees should be good for explosive power as they are fast exercises. I want to get more running or walking in too, so I'll work them all in to some kind of rota. Thanks for your input.

M.

The "bulk" misconception is a big one. Look at all the Olympic sprinters. They have big legs. When muscles get stronger, they get bigger. Whether its running or lifting, if they get stronger, they get bigger. There has always been that belief in the MA community that big legs slow you down, or make you less flexible. Not stretching makes you less flexible.

I always hear recommendations for plyometrics or other explosive types exercises when it comes to this, too. I'm not sure if there is a standard now, but in years past, I had read that it is recommended that an athlete be able to squat 1.5 times their body weight before taking on plyometric exercise routines.

When it comes to that hill, hill sprints will probably do you better than just walking up it. Hill sprints and squats a couple times a week will do you wonders, I think.

There is a long-standing misconception that muscle "bulk" causes slowness and inflexibility. Fast-twitch muscle fibers, which are the muscles you need to be explosive and strong, are the largest type of muscle fibers in the body, and therefore the bulkiest. What causes slowness and inflexibility is lifting slow and not doing enough/any stretching.

After adding barbell squats and deadlifts to my training, as well as working with a heavier (150lbs) heavy bag, my kicks definitely got stronger.

Thanks Wastelander, it's definitely conflicting opinions I've been getting from folk at work and in class too, i suppose I won't know for sure unless I try for myself. I think the squat jumps and high knees should be good for explosive power as they are fast exercises. I want to get more running or walking in too, so I'll work them all in to some kind of rota. Thanks for your input.

M.

The "bulk" misconception is a big one. Look at all the Olympic sprinters. They have big legs. When muscles get stronger, they get bigger. Whether its running or lifting, if they get stronger, they get bigger. There has always been that belief in the MA community that big legs slow you down, or make you less flexible. Not stretching makes you less flexible.

I always hear recommendations for plyometrics or other explosive types exercises when it comes to this, too. I'm not sure if there is a standard now, but in years past, I had read that it is recommended that an athlete be able to squat 1.5 times their body weight before taking on plyometric exercise routines.

When it comes to that hill, hill sprints will probably do you better than just walking up it. Hill sprints and squats a couple times a week will do you wonders, I think.

Thanks, Bushido_man, I've worked the squat jumps etc into my workout routine this week, not done the hill run yet but plan to get to it on Thursday, I have to say I am not the best runner so not particularly looking forward to it but i know it will benefit me in the long run so i will bite the bullet and get started. :D

M.

Be water, my friend.

I don't like running. Never have. So, I don't really do it much. In the past, I have run stairs, and found that I would rather do that than just run otherwise.

I hate running, yet I have a daughter who runs half marathons. She doesn't get it from me...

Thanks, Bushido_man, I've worked the squat jumps etc into my workout routine this week, not done the hill run yet but plan to get to it on Thursday, I have to say I am not the best runner so not particularly looking forward to it but i know it will benefit me in the long run so i will bite the bullet and get started. :D

M.

If you don't like running you don't have to do it... It's not the end all and be all of fitness. Hill sprints are really great but so is any interval training (HIIT) if you do it right. Skipping is a great cardiovascular builder. I personally prefer to do interval swimming and intervals on the rowing machines. Blast it for a lap or for 30 secs, take 10 seconds rest and go again. Or try something like tabatas: http://www.intervaltraining.net/tabata.html

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

M.

If you don't like running you don't have to do it... It's not the end all and be all of fitness. Hill sprints are really great but so is any interval training (HIIT) if you do it right. Skipping is a great cardiovascular builder. I personally prefer to do interval swimming and intervals on the rowing machines. Blast it for a lap or for 30 secs, take 10 seconds rest and go again. Or try something like tabatas: http://www.intervaltraining.net/tabata.html

That looks interesting, never heard of it before. Think I'll give it a go. :D

M

Be water, my friend.