• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

6 ways to practice kata

amerissa2890

I always strive to train kata the way they are supposed to be done. Doing otherwise can introduce bad habits.

IMHO...

I agree with hammer.

I do go slow for form but when i do i visualize where im putting the GO and where i am putting the JU.

I also practice everywhere so it doesnt matter which way I face in any room.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For my first black belt test we had to perform all of our forms backward from finish to start. Also performing with holding a cup of water and just doing the feet.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Developing bad habits is surely a possibility but the way to avoid it is to make sure through practise before attempting variations. If you have learned a kata correctly and are able to perform it inside out then there are less risks.

My preference is doing it with eyes closed and combining that with the loop exercise I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Developing bad habits is surely a possibility but the way to avoid it is to make sure through practise before attempting variations. If you have learned a kata correctly and are able to perform it inside out then there are less risks.

My preference is doing it with eyes closed and combining that with the loop exercise I mentioned earlier in this thread.

When we are practicing Kata we sometimes are made to do it blindfolded so as not to use any part of the hall as reference points, also sometime we have sleighbells wrapped around one ankle to try and make the jingling rythmic and quiet andnot some mass of noise and chaos. These methods can be a lot of fun to watch especially if doing both at the same time. :lol: Fun, but also very useful tools.

M.

Be water, my friend.

The 4 methods we practiced in Shotokan were:

1. Proper pace and rythm

2. Extremely fast, just remember it as quickly as possible, moves didn't need to be fully extended, just get from one spot to the next as quickly as possible

3. Do every move as strong as you possibly could with every stance being as low as you could possibly do.

4. Do the full kata as slowly as you possibly could do

I teach that method at my dojo.

Everyone loves the fast as possible.

I also make everyone face a different direction while doing their kata.

Messes with their visual ques.

Really helps when they go to a tournament and nothing is fimiliar.

• 4 weeks later...
The 4 methods we practiced in Shotokan were:

1. Proper pace and rythm

2. Extremely fast, just remember it as quickly as possible, moves didn't need to be fully extended, just get from one spot to the next as quickly as possible

3. Do every move as strong as you possibly could with every stance being as low as you could possibly do.

4. Do the full kata as slowly as you possibly could do

I teach that method at my dojo.

Everyone loves the fast as possible.

I also make everyone face a different direction while doing their kata.

Messes with their visual ques.

Really helps when they go to a tournament and nothing is fimiliar.

My students HATE going fast with a passion. Which is quite amusing. A lot of them like doing it normal speed or slow & powerful.

I love making them do it in the corners to make them think and also to have them face another part of the dojo. Because they usually only face the front of the dojo due to the number of students in the juniors. With the adults it is much easier.

• 1 month later...

OSU!

For me when I work on my own it's:

1) The first few reps slowly and as technical as possible.

2) Some reps with good power and speed.

3) The last 2 reps in an aggressive way, i.e. with max speed and power, not caring if it looks good or not.

4) Take the kata to the heavy bag. This can be a real eye opener.

When working with a partner:

1) Bunkai with a veeery complaint partner. Figure out the mechanics.

2) Bunkai with a less compliant partner. Figure out where his/her resistance comes into play.

3) Bunkai with a totally uncompliant and aggressive partner. This can also be THE eye-opener.

4) Take the kata to the pads.

Kata is more than a sequence of moves. Kata work without bunkai and partner work is useless. I do enjoy it, but I believe we have to dig deep to understand what kata can give us.

OSU!

Just Karate