• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

6 ways to practice kata

amerissa2890

1.Do the slow movements fast.

2.Do the kata with your eyes closed.

3.Do the kata in your head.

4.Do the Kata and pretend you’re “angry”.

5.Do the Kata outside.

6.Do your kata to music.

These ways do not belong to me.They belong to karate by jesse :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The 4 methods we practiced in Shotokan were:

1. Proper pace and rythm

2. Extremely fast, just remember it as quickly as possible, moves didn't need to be fully extended, just get from one spot to the next as quickly as possible

3. Do every move as strong as you possibly could with every stance being as low as you could possibly do.

4. Do the full kata as slowly as you possibly could do

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Well, these ways of training Kata are just that to me, 6 ways; nothing new to me. In that, I don't train in kata by pretending that I'm angry because I believe that it's not conducive with any learning maxim; Mizu no kokoro and Tsuki no kokoro: Mind like the moon and mind like water, for example.

Focus isn't being angry, imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If I get hung up while doing a kata, I do it with my eyes closed. It helps me to remove my mind from it.

I love doing a kata slow and overexaggerated. It feels awesome.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

Not sure if this is just automatic and so not mentioned yet, but we also have to practice our kata in other directions, as well as on the opposite side (ex. everything generally done to the right is done to the left and vice versa). This is once we are fairly comfortable with the regular way, of course.

Not sure if this is just automatic and so not mentioned yet, but we also have to practice our kata in other directions, as well as on the opposite side (ex. everything generally done to the right is done to the left and vice versa). This is once we are fairly comfortable with the regular way, of course.

Doing the kata in different directions is a good way to practice as well. Forgot about that one.

Here are the ways we do kata:

1. Divide the kata in 2 or three step sequences and repeat these as if they were separate kata. This is great if your practise space is very small( like a bedroom or small apartment.

2. Do one move at a time and slow way way way down like tai chi. This way helps with learning body mechanics for each technique and trains correct transition from one thing to the next. Especially stances and foot work.

3. The third one we do is practise in a continuous loop. Instead of finishing the kata go back to the start and do it over and over as many times as possible without stopping. This method is quite intense more so if you do it with power. Sometime people fall over from doing this. It's a great workout and helps ingrain the kata once all the move are learned.

Here is what we do at my dojo

1) Normal Pace

2) Slow

3) Maximum Strength (NOT SPEED)

4) Completely Relaxed (Little tension in body except to stay upright and perform the techniques)

5) eyes closed

6) Start & finish facing a corner instead of a wall

7) Do the Opposite

- Start with opposite foot

- Seeiunchin for instance, you start with left foot and continue from there. And do the kata that way. I choose Seeiunchin because it has the same steps on each side but has the linking segments which are the real challange.

1. Practice with no pauses

2. Take out discreet sequences that 'work' and practice on both sides.

3. Practice with a partner, and as realisitically as possible. Really simple way to decide that some bunkai are unrealistic.

Leaves fall.