• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How can i make my kata looking better;

amerissa2890

I was wondering how can i make my Kata looking better. I've got a orange belt and at 31st of may I've got my first competition. I want to win so...I'm practicing hard every day. Do anyone know how can i make them looking better; :-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practice ...practice and practice ! there are no short cuts and no magic formula ...like any skill you need to put the offort in.

One tip that I use doing any kata is I imagine I am in a fight against multiple opponents and I am the star and eventually beat them all ! in kata your imaginary opponents are always in perfect distance and you always win .

You are the John Wayne and they are the Indians in a Hollywood western ! kata is like that , you act and the better you are in acting and giving that impression the better ...but do not sacrifise correct technique.

never give up !

Ok... For competition kata, it is important to make your opening and closing techniques stand out. This doesn't mean you should do the rest of the kata sloppy however. During the First technique you want to show your intention of ending the fight right away. It's not just a block, but a finishing move every time. Powerful and quick. The closing movement of the kata should have a powerful feeling of "I don't want to play anymore." And boom, finish.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Conditioning, conditioning and conditioning. I do not do kata competition, I find I do not get much out of it, but I do like to improve my kata as often that improves ones karate. I always start with conditioning.

Focus on these seven areas; the hip and knee dominant, your vertical and horizontal pulling/pushing, and your anti-rotation and anti-lateral for your core.

You want to focus on maximum effort/minimum repetition for heavy weights to develop explosive power, and a lot of repetitions and light weights to access the trip muscles for speed.

You will also need endurance training. I favour interval training but to be honest, a better approach is just do more karate. When it comes to kata you should train to near exhaustion with each performance.

For a training regime, I favour at least 30 minutes a day with 3-4 intense 2 hour sessions a week. I find that allows me to maximise performance with out tiring myself out.

You will also want to wind down your training about 2 weeks before the tournament. You do not want to be exhausted going in.

For short time improvement. Focus on the dynamics of your timing, use sequences where you can maintain momentum and sharpness. If you can only manage 2-3 movements sharply, than use that. Focus on doing the best you can with what you already have.

R. Keith Williams

Just practice, get different people to watch and offer help.

There are several levels of kata, once you've got the routine then practice on breathing, speed, power, technique....

Ideally you should aim to get to a stage where you are in the battle, in the moment, a train could steam through the room and if you are doing your kata with the correct mindset then you shouldn't even notice it....

Break the form into segments, and focus on each one, hitting the tough techniques and getting the timing down. Then move onto the next segment. Once you feel comfortable, put it all together.

Practice and focus on what each individual body segment is doing. You need strength, speed, power and the intentions of majorly wounding your opponent that would be in front of you

As other have said practice!!

Also depends a little on style but our advanced students are taught that each transition between moves is done smoothly but each punch / Block or kick is strong and well defined.

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

Practice and focus on what each individual body segment is doing. You need strength, speed, power and the intentions of majorly wounding your opponent that would be in front of you

This is very relevant to my goju training. That describes the fire in the performing karatekas eyes.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK