• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Martial Art" Magazine Sexist??

Are you a male or female martial artist?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a male or female martial artist?

• Male
    • Female

If I'm not mistaken, BB magazine has come out with an issue dedicated to women in the martial arts. I think this is a new magazine that'll come out regularly. The cover I saw had Erin Vunak on it.

So is it like a PlayBoy for male Martail Artists? :P

Limits Are Not Accepted. They Are Elbowed, Kicked And Punched.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who cares? It's a private magazine run by a private company which tailors itself to a highly specialized group of individuals. In that group, the ratio of men to women is much larger. That's the way it is.

If you represented the minority more you would be ignoring the majority, which would mean you would be ignoring your primary audience, which in turn would mean less readers and less sales. That's journalism. If you don't like it, write a letter to the editor.

Know thyself.

Related Subject: What do you guys think about women martial artists posing nude :o in martial arts magazines? Leka Viera, a black belt in Jiu-Jitsu fighting out of one of the biggest Academies in Brazil (now I believe she has relocated to the US). No doubt because of her shaven head and her sport, people might think she was gay and she was just protecting herself with the photos? Here's an interview with her, by the way...she got 2nd place in the Worlds, the Mundials, this year in Brazil. Last year she got 1st. http://www.jiu-jitsu.net/women/interviews/leka.shtml

And here are the questionable ::ahem:: pictures. :roll: WARNING! DON'T CLICK ON THESE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE SOMEWHAT REVEALING PICTURES! She's pretty much covered though.

http://www.uol.com.br/gracie/grrl/grrl64/images/lk_intro1.jpg

http://www.uol.com.br/gracie/grrl/grrl64/images/lk_intro2.jpg

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

im on of the only guys in my taekwondo class lol, the rest are girls who want self defense. Most dont spar, but still, its mostly girls :)

Same in my schools self dense class, mostly girls

Muay thai, no girls in that class.

dont know why, maybe its a michigan thing, i sure as hell dont mind it :-D

bunbu ichi

Related Subject: What do you guys think about women martial artists posing nude :o in martial arts magazines?

Sounds like a ploy to sell more magazines. I can't think of any other rational reason for it. It's a bit silly I think.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

Related Subject: What do you guys think about women martial artists posing nude :o in martial arts magazines?

Sounds like a ploy to sell more magazines. I can't think of any other rational reason for it. It's a bit silly I think.

I second that. Am I supposed to be more turned on because her Wushu is strong? Please....

Know thyself.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a trend that needs to be reversed. Monkeygirl made the comment of the magazine. Lets level the playing field. We(men) will run more women in the magazines if we can have a national prostate cancer awareness month like women have a breast cancer awareness month. Not to be flippant, but more men die each year from prostate cancer than women do from breast cancer.

Now, what that had to do with anything? Nothing!! Absolutely nothing! :-?

But it doesn't seem fair to me. The thoughts just come from nowhere and I can't stop them. Sorry :blush:

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

• 5 weeks later...

Hmm Interesting thread.

Unfortunatelly we girls have got to fight a lot of misconceptions and other stuff.

I'm glad there are still many of us doing MA and I feel we can become excellent. I've come to know some great female martial artists, thus I really don't take into consideration those minor things :)

About fingernails :) As KickChick observed we must take care not to become males :D :D As for putting a picture with such a girl in a MA magazine ... it's stupid and it looks like a misrepresentation (do you have this word in English? :)) She would have looked better in Cosmopolitan :)