• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"This belt ties me to you"

I'm actually in the process of writing a book (instructional) for my ELITE class. I do believe I'm going to "steal" this idea.

Please, I'd love to give credit to the instructor who says it. Are you willing to provide his name?

I PM'd you the info.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Oh and also to my last post in this we also tie our old belts into a knot. It is to show that we have done that part of our journey and to never give up.

It is to remind you to never stop your training. And if you untie your belt you have taken steps backwards in your training.

The only time(s) we will untie an old belt of ours is to pass it on to a student we feel deserves it (like in the movie kuro obi where the master gives his most deserving student his black belt). Otherwise if someone who take time off and doesn't feel like they are at a rank to respect that rank they formally held previously and wear one lower.

We have the same tradition in our dojo. Never taking a step backwards-always going forward.

For our BB cermeony we have a tea ceremony where I serve tea to them-in honor of their hard work and thanking them for giving me the opportunity to teach them and pass on what I know-we drink from the same cup to symbolize a bond that will never be broken regardless of where they go in life, they serve tea to their families-to honor their commitment to their training and thanking them for their support.

8)

I like that you also do a tea ceremony for those who grade the coveted rank of black belt.

I have participated in a tea ceremony in Kyoto a few years back and really enjoyed it. I was asked if I wanted to participate in one and was honored to have done it.