• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

LF Good UK Shotokan Dojo

OnceShodan

Hello Everyone

I'm looking for a Good Traditional Shotokan Karate Dojo, I live in Milton Keynes and am happy to travel a little, would consider training in London also.

A little Background, I trained shotokan Karate from age 10-19 gaining Shodan when I was 18.

I am now 31 so am very out of shape forgot half of half my kata and lost all flexibility. Still have muscle memory for most basics though its amazing what your body remembers even though it was 13 years ago!!

You may ask why I don't train at my old Dojo, I did revisit and well alas it is what I think you call a McDojo now, too many 14 year old black belts (I was held at 1st kyu untill I was 18) kids backchatting the sensei, like 3 adults all whom were blackbelts with terrible terrible technique.

It nearly did bring a tear to my eye seeing my old club this way, I used to remember the dojo packed full of 40-50 adults weekly, people failing gradings, it no longer even looks like the same club.

Anyway I could go on but it is what it is. So I really would love to find a club with adult lessons, pref full of adults too!! :) who havn't sold out to parents spending 200-300£ a year on gradings. and turning a dojo into a glorified creche.

Thanks in advance and nice to meet you :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think you've just summed up the way a lot of clubs have gone in the UK, I've just broken away from a club and gone it alone as it was becoming similar to what you describe. I am promoting proper traditional hard Karate.

I have visited a couple in London, pm me for one of them who trained like a man possessed! Great workout and great Karate.

If you ever venture out towards Bath or Salisbury then I can name a few of the best, anyone is always welcome to train with me near Warminster and Westbury in Wiltshire.

The Dojo where I now train is top heavy with a very good Sensei.

Good luck with your search, you will know when you find one...

I'm unable to truly help you in your search for a quality Shotokan dojo in UK, and that's because I live in the USA.

Good luck in your search, and the good thing here at KF, there's a number of members that live in the UK that'll be better to help you.

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search for a quality dojo in the UK.

Have a look around at dojos. I understand that you would want to return to Shotokan. If you can't find a quality school in that style, then look at other styles in your area.

I run shotokan classes in Milton Keynes.

I'd say it's very likely I know the club you used to train at (hey there's a chance you are talking about mine!!!!! I hope not)

You are more than welcome to attend some of my sessions and see if what we do suits. I also have a couple of sessions a week where just instructors and senior grades of various arts ( judo, bjj, mma etc) all meet and train together which you might be interested in but these tend to get quieter over summer months due to holidays etc

Hey guys thank you all so much for your messages, I have managed to find a club In kings cross where a friend trains so I am going to give them a try sound like what I'm looking for, he speaks highly of it and was once a member of my old dojo in its current state.

@Gazrichards, I won't say who exactly my old Dojo were but It wasn't training with you don't worry :P

Thanks for the offers of training however :)