• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Problems with basics :(

Safroot

Indeed, lots of good advice. I'd just like to add one more idea, and that is the notion that your technique is not the only thing that grws with training.

That you can see your weak points means that your perception of your own body movement is growing as well. Don't let it get you down, because I personally think it is a good sign. Most karateka can tell you that a person's confidence in their own technique naturally fluctuates like this:

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w576/kmbaudier/1_zps92c8c8e4.jpg

But, really, as a beginner, your technique is likely sill improving, you're just suddlenly seeing how much more improvement there is room for. To think about it graphically, the _ curve represents the actual "effectiveness" of your technique over time, while the * curve is your ability to perceive the effectiveness of your technique over time. I personally feel like a lot of people experience this:

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w576/kmbaudier/2_zps6dd9bb57.jpg

Point X is where folks get really nervous, but it can be a crucial point of accelerated improvement if you keep at it. Knowing where you'd like to go, and where you are currently is a huge, and humbling, part of the process.

Thanks so much for the encourasging comment and the graphs ... I totally agree with you and I won't let it get me down :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, to give you perspective, I'm running into similar issues with the basics, and I trained 14 years in another style and was promoted to two BB ranks above my current instructor's rank. FTR I've mentioned my length of experience but never my previous rank, and I have no expectations of quicker promotions in this new style, especially after seeing the syllabus and rank standards.

Yes, the stances and preps are different, but with my background I can get frustrated that I'm not getting it as quickly...and not to be disrespectful of my previous school, but I can't help but question the quality of my training there.