• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Problems with basics :(

Safroot

......The problem is getting instruction from a different person each time, sometime 3rd, 2nd or 1st Dan & each one has his /her point of view ?!! For this reason it's a bit frustrating :)

Take all advise as good advise, if they conflict then think of them as both being right and there is more than one way to do things. Look to your Sensei for the way that you should be doing it. He should be setting the standard and will also be the person who grades you.

I also learn from different seniors, some have developed bad habits, others have just made mistakes, some have their own way doing certain moves. This also applies to Kata, you will find slight differences and sometimes its because of the teachers body limitations or the fact that the application works better for them their way, or they are thinking of a certain application when they perform the Kata.

Take rising block, I have been taught to go straight up or to bring the fist in slightly then go straight up infront of your body. Both are good but thinking of grabbing an arm and going up underneath it then the second way makes more sense, if it was going up into a throat then the first way works best.

Later on when you are a few grades on then judge if there are still inconsistancies with techniques and maybe question you Sensei (politely) about them. You should always question stuff, just be polite and enquiring. Too many people take the Sensei's word as law.

Also, just relax and train, look how far you have come since starting and keep training. Mostly enjoy yourself!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......The problem is getting instruction from a different person each time, sometime 3rd, 2nd or 1st Dan & each one has his /her point of view ?!! For this reason it's a bit frustrating :)

Take all advise as good advise, if they conflict then think of them as both being right and there is more than one way to do things. Look to your Sensei for the way that you should be doing it. He should be setting the standard and will also be the person who grades you.

I also learn from different seniors, some have developed bad habits, others have just made mistakes, some have their own way doing certain moves. This also applies to Kata, you will find slight differences and sometimes its because of the teachers body limitations or the fact that the application works better for them their way, or they are thinking of a certain application when they perform the Kata.

Take rising block, I have been taught to go straight up or to bring the fist in slightly then go straight up infront of your body. Both are good but thinking of grabbing an arm and going up underneath it then the second way makes more sense, if it was going up into a throat then the first way works best.

Later on when you are a few grades on then judge if there are still inconsistancies with techniques and maybe question you Sensei (politely) about them. You should always question stuff, just be polite and enquiring. Too many people take the Sensei's word as law.

Also, just relax and train, look how far you have come since starting and keep training. Mostly enjoy yourself!

I guess you are right mal103 ... I will keep training ... The weirdest thing is that when I started karate training I did it only for fitness and grading didn't come to my mind at all but now actually grading matters .... I love this art & want to master it one day so I will keep training and as you said, now I am better than my first class back in January. Progressing but very slowly :x

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Progressing but very slowly :x

Progression is progression, regardless of the speed. Stop worrying about being good enough and practice at being good. Regardless of the speed at which you progress the important part of progressing through the ranks isn't wearing the next belt, but the journey to the belt. We learn nothing in our tests and everything in between.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Progressing but very slowly :x

Progression is progression, regardless of the speed. Stop worrying about being good enough and practice at being good. Regardless of the speed at which you progress the important part of progressing through the ranks isn't wearing the next belt, but the journey to the belt. We learn nothing in our tests and everything in between.

You are right Zaine ... completely agree with you :) may be because it's my first time to learn something that needs lots of practice and time for progression.

I had the same issue when I started with my current club. I learned strict JKA Shotokan basics, and I had to transition to a more Shorin Ryu based open system with different stances and a lot of front leg kicks. I had very good "JKA" basics, but being 36 yrs old vs. a teenager when I started, a lot of the old basics were uncomfortable. I had to lean on all of my classmates and Sensei to bring it all together. All of them have different styles and different teaching styles. You have to find what works better for you. But the best advice would be to find out what your Sensei thinks is the best route. He's the one that will be making the final decisions.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

But the best advice would be to find out what your Sensei thinks is the best route. He's the one that will be making the final decisions.

That's what I exactly did in today's class :)

There is a lot of good advise here, so I can't add much more. Like ps1 mentioned, practice at home. Take one or two things home from each class, and drill those one or two things until the next class. Don't overwhelm yourself with too much early on. You'll get plenty of stuff in class. If you take one of two things from each class, or, better yet, drill those one or two things for a week at home, you will start noticing that you feel better about them, and will probably be noticed that you are improving in class. Once you feel more comfortable with those things, move onto another thing. Break things down into their component parts, and build up slowly. And as someone else mentioned, perservere. It comes with time. :)

Indeed, lots of good advice. I'd just like to add one more idea, and that is the notion that your technique is not the only thing that grws with training.

That you can see your weak points means that your perception of your own body movement is growing as well. Don't let it get you down, because I personally think it is a good sign. Most karateka can tell you that a person's confidence in their own technique naturally fluctuates like this:

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w576/kmbaudier/1_zps92c8c8e4.jpg

But, really, as a beginner, your technique is likely sill improving, you're just suddlenly seeing how much more improvement there is room for. To think about it graphically, the _ curve represents the actual "effectiveness" of your technique over time, while the * curve is your ability to perceive the effectiveness of your technique over time. I personally feel like a lot of people experience this:

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w576/kmbaudier/2_zps6dd9bb57.jpg

Point X is where folks get really nervous, but it can be a crucial point of accelerated improvement if you keep at it. Knowing where you'd like to go, and where you are currently is a huge, and humbling, part of the process.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

There is a lot of good advise here, so I can't add much more. Like ps1 mentioned, practice at home. Take one or two things home from each class, and drill those one or two things until the next class. Don't overwhelm yourself with too much early on. You'll get plenty of stuff in class. If you take one of two things from each class, or, better yet, drill those one or two things for a week at home, you will start noticing that you feel better about them, and will probably be noticed that you are improving in class. Once you feel more comfortable with those things, move onto another thing. Break things down into their component parts, and build up slowly. And as someone else mentioned, perservere. It comes with time. :)

Thanks for precious advice :karate: