• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Problems with basics :(

Safroot

Hi Guys,

I have been away from the forum for some time and really missed it.

My situation in short is :

last class one of the 1st Dan guys took me aside and started working on the basics and first 2 katas as my first grading will be soon I guess. During the training, I found myself below standards that would allow me to pass a grading :( . my problems were:

1- loose or non-solid/firm stances.

2- when doing rotation/turning in kata it ends with my 2 feet on the same line instead of being spaced with nearly shoulder distance.

3- fine adjustments needed for the basic blocks (I feel like BB guys in my class are doing it in different ways and each one wants me to do it his way)

The guy was very nice to me but after the class I got very demotivated and don't know what to do!

Anybody has experienced this before ? if yes how did you get over it ?

Any advice about improving above mentioned stuff will be much appreciated.

N.B: I have been training 1.5hrs/week for 4 months now

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First bit of advice I can give is to persevere...might sound trite but at some point the body will do what is needed if you keep the training up.

Second bit of advice I can give is to get to class twice a week if possible, more frequent training might help. If you can't get to class then try to do work on your own provided you can identify and make corrections as needed.

Third...as frustrating as it is, be glad that you are getting the corrections now. Much more difficult to fix problems now than to try to correct them as a higher ranking student, I know this from personal experience...

Which forms are you doing? I'm working on Taikyoku Sono Ichi & Ni now, and while the moves are overall much simpler than the ones I used to do in TKD BB forms, it's been a challenge to get the turns right.

First bit of advice I can give is to persevere...might sound trite but at some point the body will do what is needed if you keep the training up.

Second bit of advice I can give is to get to class twice a week if possible, more frequent training might help. If you can't get to class then try to do work on your own provided you can identify and make corrections as needed.

Third...as frustrating as it is, be glad that you are getting the corrections now. Much more difficult to fix problems now than to try to correct them as a higher ranking student, I know this from personal experience...

Which forms are you doing? I'm working on Taikyoku Sono Ichi & Ni now, and while the moves are overall much simpler than the ones I used to do in TKD BB forms, it's been a challenge to get the turns right.

Thanks hammer for your advice ... unfortunately I am not able to do 2 classes weekly due to work shifts and no enough time at home to practice (mostly it's family time).

I completely agree with you that correction now is better than later.

yes I am doing the same 2 katas with only one difference that Kyokushin is my first martial art ever.

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Go train.

Start training outside the academy as well. The academy is where you go to learn new stuff. Home is where the real work gets done.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

When you move from front stance to front stance does your foot move in a kind of "in-out" pattern? That's how we're taught to do it, and it helps a lot with getting the front stance wide enough. Does it make sense when I say that? Like, you start in a front stance, your back foot has to move in (as well as forward) to get to the other foot, so then it goes out (as well as forward) to get to the next front stance, so that foot makes a sort of arc. Then as soon as the foot is down you anchor the back leg making it nice and straight. We do a lot of front stance practice with our hands behind our back and backs straight, just going from front stance to front stance. Then you can do it backwards too. Does that help at all?

I'm curious, did they actually tell you your standards were too low to pass, or did you just surmise that from all the corrections you got?

I know it can be disheartening, but I can tell from all your posts that you are really passionate and care a lot about karate. In other words, you have the 'heart', and that will get you to your goal. The learning curve might be a bit slower than you would like right now, but I am confident you will get there!!! :)

Go train.

Start training outside the academy as well. The academy is where you go to learn new stuff. Home is where the real work gets done.

This is what I was gonna say!!

I can also speak from experience. Let me tell you a secret Safroot, 2 days a week isnt enough either. NO WAAYYY. Until I got the basics of my kata i practiced everywhere everyday, In the shower, kitchen, living room, going through it in my mind, thinking of the fine points, writing it out, watching qualified people on youtube. You will progress leaps and bounds if you stop thinking of this as something you do on tuesdays and commit yourself learning the art. After all, karate isnt something you take out of your pocket like a harmonica, its something that should infuse your life, I lift things in life and visualize lifting a chishi (training weight), I am standing waiting, I turn my feet in and "grab the floor with my legs" as my teacher calls it.

You can progress well 1 day a week. In class we do not do kata constantly, time is limited and its only 2 days a week. Sensei may not see seiyunchin or saifa for 2 or 3 weeks or more and when he does HE EXPECTS TO SEE IMPROVEMENT.

Good Luck, Be patient. This is a hurdle for you.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

When you move from front stance to front stance does your foot move in a kind of "in-out" pattern? That's how we're taught to do it, and it helps a lot with getting the front stance wide enough.

That's the way I was taught to do stance transitions in my TKD school...and my Kyokushin instructor has been working on getting me to change that to a "direct" step. Not sure if it a Kyokushin thing or personal/school preference.

When you move from front stance to front stance does your foot move in a kind of "in-out" pattern? That's how we're taught to do it, and it helps a lot with getting the front stance wide enough.

That's the way I was taught to do stance transitions in my TKD school...and my Kyokushin instructor has been working on getting me to change that to a "direct" step. Not sure if it a Kyokushin thing or personal/school preference.

Interesting, hammer. Good to know!

Go train.

This is what I was gonna say!!

I can also speak from experience. Let me tell you a secret Safroot, 2 days a week isnt enough either. NO WAAYYY. Until I got the basics of my kata i practiced everywhere everyday, In the shower, kitchen, living room, going through it in my mind, thinking of the fine points, writing it out, watching qualified people on youtube. You will progress leaps and bounds if you stop thinking of this as something you do on tuesdays and commit yourself learning the art. After all, karate isnt something you take out of your pocket like a harmonica, its something that should infuse your life, I lift things in life and visualize lifting a chishi (training weight), I am standing waiting, I turn my feet in and "grab the floor with my legs" as my teacher calls it.

You can progress well 1 day a week. In class we do not do kata constantly, time is limited and its only 2 days a week. Sensei may not see seiyunchin or saifa for 2 or 3 weeks or more and when he does HE EXPECTS TO SEE IMPROVEMENT.

Good Luck, Be patient. This is a hurdle for you.

Solid post :up: My sensei tells us training isn't just physically doing the technique, running through a kata or kihon over and over in your mind can also be considered training. If you absolutely can't make more class remember you can squeeze a bit of practice in almost anywhere. If you're standing cooking dinner, practice some blocking while you're doing it, if your cutting the grass practice moving from stance to to stance. When the kids go to bed spend half an hour on kata. Sometimes when things are slow at work I do practice in the changing room. My Sempai says the swimming pool is good for practicing with the resistance from the water.

Don't get too disheartens it's not meant to be easy, that's what makes it such a good feeling when you pass a grade or win a tournament. Work through it and it'll come good for you. Good luck and let us know how you're progressing.

M.

Be water, my friend.