• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Return to Jiu-Jitsu after ACL reconstruction surgery

Hello,

I've underwent ACL reconstruction 6.5 months ago and currently I'm practicing Shotokan Karate.

I still feel the leg kind of weak, but aside from needing to ice the knee after each session, it looks like it's recovering well.

From 1 to 5, being 4 the minimum level I would consider doing competition, I'm at 2 right now.

So my current schedule is:

1) 5 months, end of reabilitation sessions. Running, cycling and careful training of karate/taekwondo techniques. Alone. [DONE]

2) 6 months - Karate training in a class. Kihon,Kata and Kumite (no jiyu kumite) [DOING]

3) 1 year (first attempt at striking with contact)

4) 1 year and 1 month. Starting free sparring.

But I also practice BJJ. I haven't restarted training because I think falls and pressure on knee while kneeling might be as traumatic as kicking a heavy bag.

Wondering if any judoka or similar out there have gone through this injury, if and when restarted training and how it felt to restart falling and doing ground fighting again?

Regards

-----------------------------------------------------------

T. Amaro

My martial arts blog: http://martialarts.telmoamaro.com

(martial arts related articles, ebooks and apps)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have had numerous knee surgeries and the hardest thing I find is kneeling and a seiza position due to decreased ROM and chronic swelling due to arthritis. Makes grappling difficult to say the least but I do kick the bag without much problem.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Grappling can be hairy - BE CAREFUL!

explosive movements can wipe you out.

There is also a tendency for pressures to be pushing in a direction for your knee to buckle. - like when you are in top in someones guard, or your on your back mounted and you are trying to create distance, bridging or shrimping.

I had a meniscus tear (which is not as bad as what you have) and had to stay away from explosive movements for quite a while. Ive backed off from judo play as well.

I would not roll with inexperienced players!

Good luck

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

You can certainly go in and drill. But actual live rolling should be out of the question until your doctor releases you. I had a buddy go through the same surgery. I want to say he was unable to roll for a full 9 months afterward. He still came in and practiced the techniques and performed drills.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

You can certainly go in and drill. But actual live rolling should be out of the question until your doctor releases you. I had a buddy go through the same surgery. I want to say he was unable to roll for a full 9 months afterward. He still came in and practiced the techniques and performed drills.

How limited was his mobility during any practice and drill? I'd be afraid to do anything until full clear by the doctor because with my dumb luck, I'd end up doing something to ruin what the doctor fixed.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

How limited was his mobility during any practice and drill? I'd be afraid to do anything until full clear by the doctor because with my dumb luck, I'd end up doing something to ruin what the doctor fixed.

He had full mobility by this point. His doctor cleared him for different phases and types of training. So he was able to drill for several months before he was ever able to roll (randori).

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

He had full mobility by this point. His doctor cleared him for different phases and types of training. So he was able to drill for several months before he was ever able to roll (randori).

That's smart of him to adhere to his doctors instructions; patience paid off for him, imho.

That's a great idea to do. That way, you still stay sharp on your technique. It might even help technique more, focusing on it like that. And the lower impact might mean you can do even more of it. Find a training partner and get after that, I'd say.

That's a great idea to do. That way, you still stay sharp on your technique. It might even help technique more, focusing on it like that. And the lower impact might mean you can do even more of it. Find a training partner and get after that, I'd say.

Helps in finding a new way to move effectively for said techniques as well as for himself. Solid!!

• 1 month later...