• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

a simple question on teaching qualifications.

I was wondering, to be able to start your own school in karate (in this case, lets say Shotokan), do you have to be certain Dan to teach?

I'm just not really sure if there is certain requirements are not. Just curious is all.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are no universal requirements, but some organizations may require you to be of a certain rank before you can run a school that is officially affiliated with the organization. Typically, this seems be somewhere between 2nd and 4th dan when I have seen it. I've definitely seen Shodans running their own schools, and 6th dans that just want to be students.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

There are no universal requirements, but some organizations may require you to be of a certain rank before you can run a school that is officially affiliated with the organization. Typically, this seems be somewhere between 2nd and 4th dan when I have seen it. I've definitely seen Shodans running their own schools, and 6th dans that just want to be students.

Solid post!!

Generally speaking, for the most part, Sandan is the desired requirement at most governing bodies; it is at our Hombu. I didn't open my first dojo UNTIL I was a Sandan. However, I've seen a few dojo's being run by Ikkyu's. How do they test? Up to a certain point, they're own instructor runs said testing cycle for the Ikkyu's. I've even seen a dojo in Weatherford, TX that was ran by an Nikyu.

There's no law that regulates this, so I suppose, anyone at any rank can open them a dojo/dojang/etc!! In this, I also suppose that it's all about the consumer be aware.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

With us the magic rank is Sandan. Our Shodan and Nidan are not considered Sensei. We even have some Sandan that have not been granted the title of Sensei. However to open a dojo you have to be at least a Sandan and been granted the title of Sensei.

I don't think that there is a hard fast rule but this is ours.

Of course ever association, organization or club is different. I have seen Shodan's being called Sensei before and have seen Sandan's being called Shihan. I have seen Shodans with their own dojo's and some with multiple schools. It really depends solely on what your organization accepts and allows.

I think that our rule is good for us because in order to be granted the title of Sensei you must have taught under your instructor for years and have passed an exam to be considered a Sensei. We actually make sure that not only do you know how to teach but that you can effectively teach. Being a Shodan (in some schools this is only 2 to 3 years of training) and being able to effectively teach and have the depth of knowledge to be able to pass on the art in such a way that the student not only understands but also benifits from what they are taught is a challenge to say the least. Not saying it can not be done but we have found that students are much better instructors after being mentored in how to teach and having the time to gain an indepth understanding of the art in order to properly pass the art on to their students.

But that is just us.

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.

From what I've seen, most of the time it's between 1st and 3rd Dan (and above). However there are some associations out there that will licence & insure you from Brown Belt (3rd Kyu) with assistance.

But like it's already been said, there really is no universal rule or law.

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

It's more important to be able to teach, I assisted as 1st Kyu and then opened my own Dojo as 1st Dan but they all graded with my Sense at his Dojo.

I am now Nidan and have just gone alone so I will grade then to 1st Kyu and aother local club has offered to grade them to Shodan.

Another massive requirement is for you to keep up your training, not just by yourself, this works out really well because you will get a constant feed of teaching material as your students will get bored quickly by just doing syllabus work all of the time.

There are some orgs out there that will provide you insurance etc and state a minimum of 1st Dan. As for learning how to teach, this can be done but normally best to be left alone to get on with it, you either sink or swim.

The great part is that you can taylor the lesson to how you want to do it, if everyone is bad with stances then work on that etc. So long as they keep coming back then you are okay, also if they are improving!

Sandan is the rank that is commonly accepted that i've noticed that people open their own school.

Although one of my friends is in his early 30's and is a nidan and opened his own school last year. BUT he has over 15 years training + teaching experience so he is able to teach. And he is affiliated with his old school so if he needs to he can send them there for any gradings that he can't

But a lot of parents would excpect the head instructor to have some form of qualification to teach. So Many head instructors i know hold coaching qualifications with the national governing body (Australian Karate Federation).

Why Sandan?

Generally speaking, Sandan can promote students to Shodan without the governing bodiy being directly involved. As the CI/Owner, it's a feeling of independence that has to be experienced to be understood.

Promoting students to Shodan on ones own; nothing compares, imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

In Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, black belt is quickly becoming the standard. However, in the US at least, there was such a lack of BJJ proliferation, it was not uncommon to see blue and purple belts running academies; which represents between 3 and 9 years of training.

Now that the art is more available many associations are moving toward mandating a black belt be in charge of each academy; which is between 9 and 13 years of training.

However, in my association, you must be a 3rd degree black belt in order to promote someone to black belt. That means you must have been a black belt for a minimum of 9 years, a professor (think "Shihan" in Japanese terms). This level represents about 20 to 25 years of total training.

Under the IBJJF, you can promote a black belt at 2nd degree. This is about 16 to 18 years of total training.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."