• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First tournament out of the country

skullsplitter

My son tried out for and made the WKU USA national team. He'll be competing in London, England this summer at the WKU World Championships.

This is first time competing outside of the county. Do any of you have any tips to offer?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats to your son for making the WKU USA National Team!!

Be well versed in the rules and regulations! First and foremost, imho.

After that, if it were me, I'd not worry about anything else because even though the tournament is held in another country, to me, it's all the same. My kata's will be solid, and my kumite will be solid. Try to not let the air of excitement by being in another country effect your executions across the board.

Do your best in every division that you compete in. After that, let the tournament take care of itself, have fun, and train hard.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Congrats to your son :up:

I've been competing abroad for a number of years now. My absolute number one tip would be pack your belt(s), gi, mouthpiece and anything else that is absolutely crucial in your hand luggage. Too many times my team's gone away and the baggage hasn't made it with us! Sparring gear and the like you can usually find replacements for but it's nice to have that comfort of having your belt travel with you.

Other than that, if this is something you have control over, I would also suggest arriving a good few days before the competition so as the jet lag isn't too bad. This also gives you a few days to get familiar with the area you are staying, where the amenities are and some time for last minute training.

Oh and if is England, all I can say is bring clothes for both sunshine and for rain! One minute you can be fine in just a tshirt, next it's pouring down!

If you have any questions about coming to London, quite a few of us on the forum are British so I'm sure someone can answer it.

Best of luck to you both!

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Congrats to your son! he must be over the moon.

like DWx said take your most crucial items in your hand luggage.

Arrive a few days before for him to relax into the location. Because you don't want to overload him if you arrive the night before.

You want to reduce his stress as much as possible.

When he gets to the competition, get him to think of it as any other competition that you want to work as hard as possible as he has done at any other competition.

Also he has to have FUN.

Preparation! Like the post above me have suggested, make a list of all the things that need to be packed so that he isn't missing anything! Have him become familiar with the rules and regulations and remind him that he needs to have fun. England is an awesome place and he should enjoy every minute.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Consider diet. England should be OK but when you are travelling internationally availability of what he likes to eat pre event may be limited. This extends to the day of the event. If he likes certain things to snack on throughout the day? Also general availability of food at the venue.

• 1 month later...