• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question from small person

Trini_Triggs

:kaioken:

I recently started a kickboxing program that is 3 days a week, and I was wondering if weight training was recommended on all or some of the off-days. I wanted to weight train because I am small and relatively skinny, but I don't know much about the relationship between kickboxing and weight training and how often they should be done in correlation with one another. A few weeks ago I tried to work out with weights the day after the kickboxing class and found myself too sore to go back to kickboxing the next day. Any ideas?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My sensei told us we must have some strenght in order to deliver a good punch or a kick. Weights help us do this, but everything must be done gradually. If you started kickboxing and it's 3 times a week, take it easy. If you weren't doing this kind of efforts before, give yourself some time to "adjust" for this.

Be moderate in everything ... The fact that you felt sore means you are not prepared yet for too many efforts. Take care of your body and don't "punish" it :D

You'll see in few weeks you'll be able to do both kb-ing and weight lifting and still feel great :)

Hope I've helped :karate:

Good luck in everything you do

Your body type (you say your "small") could dictate your overall workout (kickboxing & weight training.

There are essentially three different body types - ectomorphs, mesomorphs and endomorphs.

You seem to be a ectomorph: typically a smaller person with a faster metabolism, slow to gain muscle and exercising may cause weight loss.

It is possible to rise up against your genetics and add muscle to a skinny/small frame you just have to understand the best type of training for your particular body type.

Ectomorphs find it hard to put on weight because they burn calories

very easily. With this in mind ectomorphs shouldn't train too hard or long when it comes to cardio workouts. You should lift weights but keep the volume low ... again too much activity will burn too many calories.So...

EAT! Make sure you eat well rounded meals 6-8 meals a day. Any extra protein and/or amino acids in your diet will help also. Make sure you are taking your sets to complete muscle failure (hence you will have some soreness) Again, keep your training sessions short (45-60 minutes. Try to hit two or three body parts per session.Train each body part every 4/5 days for 2/3 sets.

Edited by KickChick

I would suggest that you first start out with one program(kickboxing), and let you body adjust to that particular training. Give your self some time to develop your strength and flexibility through your training. As you become more comfortable with your training program, then go ahead and add the weight training. Start out every other day and pick a body part to work. Also think about what you want to achieve with weights. You can either bulk up in mass, or build to elongate your muscles. One is heavy weight work with less reps and the other is light weight work with many reps.

As ramymensa stated don't "punish" your body. Workout gradually so as not to injure or burn yourself out. Good luck!!

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Ah my fellow small person!

When I first started Tae Kwon Do I was rather small, too...still am.

However, if you've just started kickboxing, I don't suggest you overload yourself with a weight training on top of it. Kickboxing itself is pretty intensive, and to put this much strain on your body all at once can be harmful. You've already said that your weightlifting experience was too much for you to go back the next day. Now, this could be because you pushed yourself too hard, trying to bench 200 lbs. (I can only bench...50) on your first day, instead of taking it slow. Now, weightlifting, if done correctly to build strength and size, should not make you incredibly sore the next day. However, it will probably make you tired. Since you've just started this kickboxing program, the program by itself is probably going to help you gain size and strength. If you add weightlifting, you could be overloading youself...kinda like taking 10 AP courses in your freshman year; if you can do it, great! But if not, you're gonna suffer the consequences. If you're really dead-set on weightlifting, make sure you get with a trainer who understands your situation and can help you take things slow.

If not, what I would really suggest is that you leave the weightlifting alone for now, and allow the kickboxing to build your strength. When you feel that you just haven't been getting anything out of it, physically (and this should be considered over about a month), then you can try weightlifting.

I, like you, have class three nights a week. I lift on the two off-days. However, I've been training in MA for nearly 3 years, and only just started lifting this summer. I got as much body-building as I could out of the MA. Because I had done this, it wasn't too much strain on my body. But if I had tried this two years earlier, I would've passed out.

Another advantage of waiting is that you will know exactly what exercises to do to help you punch, etc...when I first started with a leg extension exercise, I was like "hey...this'll do wonders for my snap kicks!"

Until then, remember that there are some drills and exercises you can do without weights. These are body-weight exercises such as push-ups, squats, crunches...all that good stuff. They're not going to be as good or as effective as weight training, but they will help a little, and that's all you may want for now.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I'm an ectomorph and I've noticed all my past weight-training efforts haven't gotten me very far... as if my body doesn't transform protein into muscle as easily as another person's might. The only time my weight has ever changed is when I was making sure to get over 100 grams of protein a day. That's expensive :)... I'll go back to it when I can afford that again.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

Weight training takes about 2 weeks to get the sorness out. So don't get discouraged. The thing to do as a MA with weights is to always make sure you stretch before and after so you don't loose your flexability.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Thanks alot for your help. I know very little about exercise and it's nice to see your responses to my question, since I couldn't find any solid information on any websites I looked through. I'm going to try to make it to the kickboxing class as much as I can, and then wait a little while to incorporate the weights (at your advice). If I have any other queries, I'll be sure to return. How long have you all been in martial arts, by the way?

=Ben=

good for ya. just keep this in mind though even if you're an ectomorph and will not build super muscles...anatomical adaptations take about 6-8 weeks...meaning that the strength you get from starting weights during that time will be due to your body "knowing" how to recruit you muscles properly. after that, your strength will come from hypertrophy....i'd recommend going light the first month and letting your body get used to "activating" together, then lift the heavy stuff....dont forget to stretch :D