• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt color gives you power?

Iskrax

When you are high ranked karate and you stand in front of white belt what do you think?

Do you think like he's white belt he probably bad ot something like this?

Or you think like belt is only thing which holds yours pants?

Sometimes when I stand next to black belt I think he sees me like "not his level partner"... What do you think?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate belts are primarily for holding your gi closed--the pants have drawstrings these days ;)

When it comes to ranks, senior students and instructors use them to be able to quickly tell what material a lower rank student should know. It also helps them figure out what they will need to work on, and at what level. All of those judgements are fluid, though, and once a senior student or instructor starts working with you, they will have a better understanding of you, as a martial artist, and won't need to judge you by your belt anymore.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

The belt is a piece of material by itself. The person wearing it makes it stand for something. The belt shows the years of dedication, skill and knowledge of the practitioner.

If you look at an instructor and think that he looks down on you because you are wearing a white belt you have it wrong. He judges you for your knowledge of the arts and your skill level. If you are a white belt and have never had any other training then he will see you as a beginner and treat you as such.

You are looking at your lack of skill/knowledge as if it is something that the instructor holds against you. This is not the case. He is judging you so that he can figure out how best to teach you and where you fit in his classes. You would not want to be put with the black belt classes if your skill level is zero. So he assesses your abilities and places and teaches you accordingly.

This is not looking down on you because he wears a higher grade. This is being a good teacher.

There are those that let the belt go to their heads. However it is not the belt that makes the man it is the man that makes the belt.

If you feel that you are looked down upon for wearing a white belt work harder so you can earn a higher grade then the problem is solved. However I think that the issue is in your head. The instructors I know do not look down upon white belts or any belt for that matter. After all we all started out as beginners ourselves.

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.

When you are high ranked karate and you stand in front of white belt what do you think?

I think that said white belt is here to learn, so I'll do my best to help said student to make that "first" step, and we'll make each and every "first" step together. I'm no better than that while belt!!

I think that said while belt is a beginner. Nothing more, nothing less! Again, I'm no better than that white belt!!

Gi's have drawstrings or elastic waistbands, now a days. I've never thought that the belt was a way of holding up ones pants, never. A quick look at any belt tells me what level of experience said student is. Now, I can proceed forward in teaching said student what's appropriate for that rank.

Sometimes when I stand next to black belt I think he sees me like "not his level partner"... What do you think?

While a white belt and I aren't the same rank, we're the same; martial artists, and I'm excited that we're able to share the floor together!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Each person will be different on this. I don't look down on someone because they have a lower belt color; I don't know that person, what they have done in the past, or may currently do. To assume something like this can put you in a bad spot. But, I'm sure there are those out there that do look down on others, look at sparring as a chance to school a lower rank, and show how good they are; it can be an ego trip for some. Everyone will be different on this matter.

I think that said white belt is here to learn, so I'll do my best to help said student to make that "first" step, and we'll make each and every "first" step together. I'm no better than that while belt!!

I think that said while belt is a beginner. Nothing more, nothing less! Again, I'm no better than that white belt!!

Gi's have drawstrings or elastic waistbands, now a days. I've never thought that the belt was a way of holding up ones pants, never. A quick look at any belt tells me what level of experience said student is. Now, I can proceed forward in teaching said student what's appropriate for that rank.

While a white belt and I aren't the same rank, we're the same; martial artists, and I'm excited that we're able to share the floor together!!

:up:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

I actually enjoy working with the beginners because it is such a huge compliment to watch someone you teach grow. Like raising your children! It makes you proud when they accomplish something as a result of the way you raise them. Same with students.

The TRUE martial artist is humble and realizes that he is a student as well. No matter what rank he is. And he also realizes that he was once in the same spot as the beginner. I've been confronted by those that hold rank and let it go to their heads. And I couldn't help but feel pity for them. Personally, I am very proud of my achievements. But it's not because I can brag about being a Nidan to everybody. It's because I set a goal for myself, and I'm very proud of the work and dedication that I've put in that has lead me to my goal. A true MA'st doesn't need to use his rank to make himself look superior. He knows that he will always be a student, and he knows that he can learn as much from a beginner as a beginner can learn from him.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

If you are itching to see what they know that you do not...fight them.

I have seen lower belt levels beat higher belt levels in fighting on literally a weekly basis. It's not random at all. If the lower belt level is an excellent fighter and the higher belt levels are average...it's barely even a contest.

:up:

Likewise! ... :up:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...