• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your ideal student

a student who acknowledges that they are still learning and that everyone makes mistakes because we are all human.

Eager to learn whatever we have to teach, polite to others, will give 100% to everything even if they can't physically do it. Respect to everyone around them and willing to learn from anyone

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enthusiasm = 100%

:)

Enthusiasm 100% every time!

I find that interesting. Especially given we are talking about your absolute dream student. I'd rather have a 50:50 split maybe even lean more to physical ability. I think you can work on the enthusiasm and interest but if there is zero natural ability I think even the 100% passionate student will really struggle and become disheartened.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

When I was in my early 20's & an assistant at a school, I would have said, "a 16 year old brown belt with limitless energy and curiosity." Now, as 40-something school owner, I'd say a student of any age willing to step out of his/her comfort zone and trust the process of training. These students, rather than the former, come around a lot more often & they're much more fun to teach.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

With regard to your second topic, I would go with about a 60/40 split between enthusiasm and physical ability. In my experience, enthusiasm can make up for a lack of physical ability, but there is a limit to how much of a lack it can make up for. I think the 60/40 is a pretty good balance, since the higher level of enthusiasm keeps them working at improving, and they are still physically able enough to make decent improvement through their practice.

Once again, though, that's the "ideal."

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Enthusiasm = 100%

I find that interesting. Especially given we are talking about your absolute dream student. I'd rather have a 50:50 split maybe even lean more to physical ability. I think you can work on the enthusiasm and interest but if there is zero natural ability I think even the 100% passionate student will really struggle and become disheartened.

For me, I don't think that I am naturally talented at MA in the slightest. Everything that I have done and accomplished I worked very hard and it was disheartening at times! Especially when some new student would become the favorite because they just naturally picked up on things and that was never me. That being said, because of my enthusiasm I became the first BB for that teacher, and those that became favorites usually didn't make it all the way. I can teach technique and I can help those who find themselves disheartened, but it is much harder to implant enthusiasm in a student who has none I don't believe that I should try to. If it's not something they love I shouldn't make them love it. I can show them why I love it, but that doesn't mean that they are going to love it in return.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Enthusiasm = 100%

For me, I don't think that I am naturally talented at MA in the slightest. Everything that I have done and accomplished I worked very hard and it was disheartening at times! Especially when some new student would become the favorite because they just naturally picked up on things and that was never me. That being said, because of my enthusiasm I became the first BB for that teacher, and those that became favorites usually didn't make it all the way. I can teach technique and I can help those who find themselves disheartened, but it is much harder to implant enthusiasm in a student who has none I don't believe that I should try to. If it's not something they love I shouldn't make them love it. I can show them why I love it, but that doesn't mean that they are going to love it in return.

Well I can empathise with that as it is very much similar to my own journey.. I was always mediocre even though I was trying my hardest and watched my peers automatically be able to do anything they were taught. Often though other students in a similar position found things so frustrating that they just gave up instead.

With regards to your last point, whilst I don't think you can force someone to love it, I do think you can excite people and show them why is such an awesome thing to do. Especially kids who have a natural ability and can take things to the next level.

I guess this is dependent on how you view my question: my thoughts are that "ideal" was a completely hypothetical dream student that you only get one of and 0% ability to really mean absolutely the complete opposite end of the spectrum: 0 strength, coordination, fitness etc.

Enthusiasm = 100%

You asked, but you find my answer interesting, but your 50/50 is ideal! I find that interesting!! Not everyone is physically gifted!! You gave me two choices; physically gifted or enthusiasm, and I selected the latter of the two.

I didn't choose physically gifted because, imho, teaching the MA isn't suppose to be easy. Physically gifted also eliminates teaching students who are handicapped in one way or another. This is what I've perceived!!

I'll still take enthusiasm 100%!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Enthusiasm = 100%

You asked, but you find my answer interesting, but your 50/50 is ideal! I find that interesting!! Not everyone is physically gifted!! You gave me two choices; physically gifted or enthusiasm, and I selected the latter of the two.

I didn't choose physically gifted because, imho, teaching the MA isn't suppose to be easy. Physically gifted also eliminates teaching students who are handicapped in one way or another. This is what I've perceived!!

Well ok :) I can understand enthusiasm being the most important trait for most, but I assumed (wrongly so) that everyone wouldn't go for the extreme of one over the other and we'd get a spectrum.

Only meant to be a fun question. Doesn't matter whatever answer anyone chooses to give. :)

Enthusiasm = 100%

Well ok :) I can understand enthusiasm being the most important trait for most, but I assumed (wrongly so) that everyone wouldn't go for the extreme of one over the other and we'd get a spectrum.

Only meant to be a fun question. Doesn't matter whatever answer anyone chooses to give. :)

It's still a fun question!! It's all good!!

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!