• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Origin of Martial arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There have been discussions on this and other forums in the past and to be honest, the start points of the martial arts have really been lost in the folds of time...

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

it depends entirely on how you interpret history. Karate came from Okinawa, but it has roots in Kung fu, which comes from China, but SOME forms of Kung fu/Wushu have roots in Indian Yoga, others in other martial arts from other nations. I think that the "Has roots" means mixed with local stuff or someone showed a guy a move and he added it to his already existing art.

Tae Kwon Do comes from Karate, but they took aspects of the kicking from local existing arts, that had its roots in China.

Judo was created in Japan from Jui Jitsu, that had been influenced by Mongolian Wreslting through China.

The truth is "had influenced" and "has roots in" means that we THINK that these arts somehow stimulated changes or introduced ideas into existing styles. Does that mean that somehow Karate comes from India....no, not at all. it means that existing arts adopted aspects of other arts and created new arts.

The true history of martial arts can only truely be ran back to their origins as a whole style, not before that.

Even monkeys fall from trees

Agreed. The only thing I would add is that western martial arts may not be prolific today but it does not mean that they didn't exist long ago. Cultural and political influence over time played a large part in the general alienation of western martial arts.

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

The oldest known written manual on martial technique was on wrestling from Greece. It talked about the importance of underhooks.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

The origin of human martial arts was likely somehwere in Ethiopia.

No nation was the first to pas martial knowledge from one to another, that was invented long before humanity.

Maybe I should rephrase this as answer as: define martial arts.

It is considered that the origin of martial arts is only from China, Japan, And Korea. Is it true or there are some other countries was also involved this.

There really isn't enough information out there to substantiate this. The Japanese, Chineses, and Korean cultures were not the only cultures to have a need for fighting. Every culture that ever existed has had need for this. So, what one would need to do is go back to the first civilzations, and call that the most likely starting point.

Right - and we know nothing of the earliest civilizations. We only know of the earliest civilizations we know of because they liked to write things into rocks and put them in protected places in arid environments, and those cultures considered themselves to be cosmopolitan and springing from the ashes of other civilizations such as the ones they dealt with on a day to day basis that did not have such an inclination to write on rocks.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia