• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A question on belt testing...

This is an older post. I'm actually surprised so many threads seem to just stop without updates and what not from the OP!

My 2 cents anyways... I think that frequent testings (2-3 months) is much more beneficial. Having the belt system has many problems, like my second degree isn't the same thing as yours and so on, because there's no real standard of what makes a 2nd dan. One of the things I think the belt tests are great for is setting short term goals. By short term I don't mean 1 year apart. I think that frequent testings keep people motivated, and feeling accomplished. It's in our nature to seek out accomplishments and there's nothing wrong with that IMHO.

I simply feel that testing once a year is taking these great points of belt testings away from the school/students.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree, Luther. I think that was part of the reason that the belt system came about, was for the use of setting short term goals and objectives. If you can present a plan to students, and they can see where they are going on this journey, and how they can get there, it is really helpful for prospective students.

What's important, though, is that the system isn't cheapened by making the road too easy.

The only way I could see 1 year testing extremely effective if you go back to only a handful of belt ranks. Like white, brown, black. And even that at that rate would be to soon for this limited amount of belts.

Yet as for most Americans we like being able to retest a lot sooner.

I personally like the idea of every 6 months for the basic belts. That way if you do mess up you don't have to wait a full year to do it right. How ever like what was said before giving a whole year to retest or test means you have a full year to prepare between belts.

Everyone's motivated differently. It comes down to why you're training in the first place. Looking back, my first time around, I was motivated by belts. I guess I wanted to fit some mold of what I thought each belt represented. I was proud of getting each belt, especially my black belt. A moth or two after earning it, I started to realize that my motivation for it wasn't really accurate. I built up some standard in my head and was constantly looking to get better as quickly as I could in order to earn the next rank.

This time around (after a 14 year break), I don't care about rank much. I started at white belt all over again (different school, very similar curriculum). I liked the promotion test itself for what it was - being taken out of my comfort zone mentally and physically - but I didn't have this huge rush of pride or accomplishment when I got my new belt.

I'm motivated far more by the process of improving. I'm motivated far more by improving than by getting a new belt. My CI told me I was testing again in the promotion in two weeks. I was greatful that I'm allowed to go, but more so for the test itself than for the belt.

Honestly, if I was tested every 3 or 6 months or every 3 or 6 years wouldn't make a difference in my day to day training at this point. I'm not there to chase rank. I'm there to get better.

I have no issue with people who are motivated by rank. Whatever keeps you in the dojo and prevents you from just going through the motions is the best thing.

Everyone's motivated differently. It comes down to why you're training in the first place. Looking back, my first time around, I was motivated by belts. I guess I wanted to fit some mold of what I thought each belt represented. I was proud of getting each belt, especially my black belt. A moth or two after earning it, I started to realize that my motivation for it wasn't really accurate. I built up some standard in my head and was constantly looking to get better as quickly as I could in order to earn the next rank.

This time around (after a 14 year break), I don't care about rank much. I started at white belt all over again (different school, very similar curriculum). I liked the promotion test itself for what it was - being taken out of my comfort zone mentally and physically - but I didn't have this huge rush of pride or accomplishment when I got my new belt.

I'm motivated far more by the process of improving. I'm motivated far more by improving than by getting a new belt. My CI told me I was testing again in the promotion in two weeks. I was greatful that I'm allowed to go, but more so for the test itself than for the belt.

Honestly, if I was tested every 3 or 6 months or every 3 or 6 years wouldn't make a difference in my day to day training at this point. I'm not there to chase rank. I'm there to get better.

I have no issue with people who are motivated by rank. Whatever keeps you in the dojo and prevents you from just going through the motions is the best thing.

Good post and a point of view that seems to be less and less for younger generations.

Good post and a point of view that seems to be less and less for younger generations.

My first time around I was 19-25 years old. I'm 39 now. It's honestly so much more rewarding now. I'm an 8th kyu and will test for 6th. No idea how long it'll take to test for shodan (average time for someone with no experience is 5 years), and I don't care too much. I'm having a good time and improving at a good rate.