• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Class environment?

Depending on the class it will vary between strict/tough to more relaxed yet focused on what we have to do.

Say our juniors we run tough classes on them where you can't misbehave and you can be punished for behaving poorly.

The 'beginner' adults which is really a mixed one is fairly relaxed yet with a hint of tough because a lot of what the students you need to learn how to do correctly or you will suffer when actually going to use such techniques.

The 'Advanced' adults are relaxed but we know when to focus. We can be relaxed during class but still have to focus when we actually do our drills. But when we aren't it is the complete opposite we laugh and discuss what we are doing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I really enjoy the atmosphere in our classes. It's a very welcoming atmosphere with egos left at the door, if you're doing something and it's not quite right all the senior grades are very quick to point you in the right direction in a respectful manner. We have a good laugh, mainly at ourselves when we go wrong (if you can't laugh at yourself then something is wrong) but when it comes to learning then we are very serious about that. I think I'm lucky to belong to such a group, I've heard not so good things about other clubs/styles in our area. I look forward to every class because I never know what to expect.

In short, I'm loving my karate life right now! :karate:

M.

Be water, my friend.

Ours being Okinawan in nature, we are much less militarized in our dojo training/etiquette/environment than one probably would expect in a Japanese MA style or Korean MA style. We do have certain etiquette, decorum, etc that we adhere to, but rigidity of Japanese militarized atmosphere is not what we do.

The discipline, respect, etc are exemplified in our training; techniques, kata, kihon, etc are worked again and again until students understand that they must be self-disciplined enough to keep at it, to not give in, in order to improve their skills. For instance, instead of making students do pushups or the like for not being in a stance properly, we start the exercise over, beginning with Tachi kata to find their proper stance, then working the stance over and over several times, and finally performing the exercise involving that stance again. If they continually cheat their stance (or whatever technique), we explain that they're only cheating themselves. Once they begin to improve/develop their skills, and in turn better understand the concepts and movements, that in turn breeds mutual respect between students and instructors.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

The discipline, respect, etc are exemplified in our training; techniques, kata, kihon, etc are worked again and again until students understand that they must be self-disciplined enough to keep at it, to not give in, in order to improve their skills. For instance, instead of making students do pushups or the like for not being in a stance properly, we start the exercise over, beginning with Tachi kata to find their proper stance, then working the stance over and over several times, and finally performing the exercise involving that stance again. If they continually cheat their stance (or whatever technique), we explain that they're only cheating themselves. Once they begin to improve/develop their skills, and in turn better understand the concepts and movements, that in turn breeds mutual respect between students and instructors.

This is a great approach. Leaving push-ups out and focusing on what the problem at hand is, is better reinforcement by a long shot. Push-ups are great, but they have their place, too.

This is a great approach. Leaving push-ups out and focusing on what the problem at hand is, is better reinforcement by a long shot. Push-ups are great, but they have their place, too.

Agreed. :) I love pushups, but issuing them for every little infraction is counterproductive, IMHO. Precisely as you said, we would rather focus on the problem technique; work that particular technique over and over, rather than substituting it with pushups. If all we did was pushups for infractions, the students would probably get pretty good at pushups, but not so good at the techniques...lol "Look at our students! They can do 100 pushups! (But cannot hold a basic horse stance long enough to punch 10 times)." :D

We mainly reserve "pushup punishments" for serious disrespect issues or similar infractions.

Remember the Tii!

Have not been a part of a school that punishes with push-ups so perhaps I can't relate, but if a student isn't focused enough to perform one or more techniques properly (or is just having a hard time with a technique), then isn't holding off on promotions or testing until said student is proficient a sufficient motivator?

I can see the need for "punishment" for disrespect issues but I don't see the need to punish students who are just having difficulty in class. Maybe I'm alone in this but MA has not come easily to me and I know there are times when I'm just struggling to get a technique right. At that time I don't need to do push-ups.

Have not been a part of a school that punishes with push-ups so perhaps I can't relate, but if a student isn't focused enough to perform one or more techniques properly (or is just having a hard time with a technique), then isn't holding off on promotions or testing until said student is proficient a sufficient motivator?

I can see the need for "punishment" for disrespect issues but I don't see the need to punish students who are just having difficulty in class. Maybe I'm alone in this but MA has not come easily to me and I know there are times when I'm just struggling to get a technique right. At that time I don't need to do push-ups.

Exactly. That's why we don't issue "pushup punishment" or similar for someone having difficulty with a technique. :) We just work the technique over and over...

Remember the Tii!

Excellent points here. In our dojo push ups are occasionally given, but it makes sense. For example, if you are late to class push ups may be given as a sort of punishment, but you have missed some warm up and need to get quickly warm. Or if the focus is just not there - - someone is being lazy and not listening, which is more the kids than adults - - push ups may be given. This would help the focus as there is a task to focus on, but also a good incentive to stay focused (avoid more push ups, lol). Or if people just aren't working hard enough in warm up, and need to work harder, push ups may be given. A proper push up is hard to do in a lazy way, so that would work. I have never seen push ups for someone not getting a technique. I agree that wouldn't make any sense. Practicing the technique is the only way to get there. A good instructor will try different ways of showing the technique, or explain different ways of thinking about it, to help.