• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What if your Sensei is wrong

Hyperthetically speaking you note that something your Sensei does is wrong - In your opinion of course.

This could be anything from showing the wrong move in a Kata to making a wrong management decision.

How do you approach the subject? Do you just keep quiet, make excuses, go with the flow, confront them, ask them, move clubs?

If you have tried a few things but have just caused a bad atmosphere of questioning a senior then what options are left.

All theory but it is based on a sticky situation I may have soon, if any of the good MA'ist on here wanted to lend an ear then we could speak offline, I would appreciate the advice....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It depends on the issue.

Management: It's really not your business. If they do something that they feel is a good move for the business, then you should trust them. It's their business and they know more about it. Say they raise the prices. Some students might find that unfair but the Sensei has to pay the bills to keep the place open. He knows the numbers and what he needs to do.

Wrong move: It depends. When it used to happen I just used to ask. "Hey, I thought it was this way?" Be polite and respectful, Senseis make mistakes too and are usually more than happy to correct it. If they're touchy about being asked in class like that, wait until after and ask them about it privately.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I just ask him about it in private--sometimes, things change based on how the organization or his instructor want things done, and sometimes he changes things based on his own experiences. As far as management decision go, I'll give my feedback to him in private, but even as an assistant instructor, I don't get to make the decisions :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Then you should talk to the Sensei about it privately. Remember, though, that they get the final say and that includes an impromptu changing of the rules to fit what they want.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

As far as the wrong move or whatnot, approach him after class, alone, and ask about it, politely. Maybe he made a change, and has a reason for doing so. Or, he may have forgotten. That can happen; I've seen it before.

Business-wise, that depends on how you want to approach it. I won't say you shouldn't, but keep in mind that some instructors tend to have tender egos and they might not enjoy being told they are wrong by a student. But, its up to you to decide if it is worth approaching them or not. Just be prepared for what may follow.

If you could clue us in on exactly what situation may be approaching, we might be able to offer more specific advise, as well.

Here are a few ideas for the sake of discussion.

Inconsistent technical details in kata.

Grading people when they aren't ready.

Grading people when they haven't done enough training hours.

Grading a 1st kyu to Shodan before they have trained for 6th months and long before total minimum training time of 3 years.

Changing the grading to make it easier, ie less sparring than.

Allowing certain people more leniency due to friendships and family ties.

I think discuss it with him in private.

I know i have made mistakes as an instructor and i admit i have. When I also teach something, I teach them the way i know it but i do tell my students if it is a variation to what my sensei teaches it and which version that they should do.

But there are some things i do teach that i do NOT teach any variation to, mainly because it is due to safety issues or if the variation is dangerous or not.

I've not yet meet a perfect person, yet!! Instructor's are fallible human beings. If it's not blatantly happening all of the time, let it go. Takes some nerves to question ones CI as though the student is better than the CI. Sure, ALL are accountable, including the CI, but with some things, the CI remains unapproachable.

I question everything, and in that, I was the bane of existence to my Dai-Soke because I questioned EVERYTHING, and I mean everything. I've been put in my place more than I can remember, and that just goes with the territory of questioning everything.

I never learned the proper etiquette for approaching him, I just winged it. Not a smart move on my part. However, I never questioned him technically because he was all that and a bag of chips in that area; unquestionable abilities that I could only imagine to possess at sometime in my life.

Great topic!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Here are a few ideas for the sake of discussion.

Inconsistent technical details in kata.

Grading people when they aren't ready.

Grading people when they haven't done enough training hours.

Grading a 1st kyu to Shodan before they have trained for 6th months and long before total minimum training time of 3 years.

Changing the grading to make it easier, ie less sparring than.

Allowing certain people more leniency due to friendships and family ties.

If these listed above are consistent behaviors, then said instructor of the MA has NO business on any floor whatsoever!!

Imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!