• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate in Olympics

I have been waiting since my childhood age that karate must be given an equal status in Olympics as other martial arts like takewondo, boxing , wrestling and judo.

karate is much more popular than all those but still it has been awaiting to be introduced as sports.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We discuss this often at our school. Our instructor thinks there are too many sanctioning bodies for this to happen. There's WAKO, WKF, WKU, IKO, JKA, ITKF, NASKA, NBL, etc, etc, etc. So many rule and ideology differences between them.

I'd like to see it though. Perhaps a super traditional division and a creative division to make the majority happy. For fighting have a knockdown division and an open (all styles) point sparring division. It could work.

Firstly, welcome to KF!

karate is much more popular than all those but still it has been awaiting to be introduced as sports.

This is not necessarily true. I find that different styles of martial arts are popular depending on the area. So for example, where I live I see a lot more TKD schools than anything else. In other areas I have lived it has been kung fu, different types of karate etc.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Judo and Taekwondo are actually the two most popular Eastern martial arts in the world. Boxing and wrestling are the two most popular Western martial arts in the world. Karate is not as popular as any of them and, as skullsplitter mentioned, karate is divided up into so many styles and organizations that it is very difficult to come up with a competitive rule set. On top of that, the average Olympic viewer will not be able to tell the difference between karate and Taekwondo, so the IOC has no valid reason to include it. Kata could be introduced but, again, the average Olympic viewer will have no idea what they are watching, and would rather see physical movement skills in the form of gymnastics rather than kata.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Judo and Taekwondo are actually the two most popular Eastern martial arts in the world. Boxing and wrestling are the two most popular Western martial arts in the world. Karate is not as popular as any of them and, as skullsplitter mentioned, karate is divided up into so many styles and organizations that it is very difficult to come up with a competitive rule set. On top of that, the average Olympic viewer will not be able to tell the difference between karate and Taekwondo, so the IOC has no valid reason to include it. Kata could be introduced but, again, the average Olympic viewer will have no idea what they are watching, and would rather see physical movement skills in the form of gymnastics rather than kata.
I agree. If Karate wanted to try to get a slot in the Olympics, the best thing they could likely do is get Japan to host it, and let them do it as a demonstration sport. Probably the closest thing they have set up to a national governing body would be the WKO, which I think was set up with the goal of driving Karate to the Olympics.

But, like Wastelander mentioned, it would pretty similar to TKD, and therefore, the IOC doesn't gain much in adding it.

I do think the IOC would gain some real value by adding MMA to the Olympics. Its a throwback to the old Pankration, and it is vastly more popular than any of the other Olympic Martial Sports out there now.

I would love to see karate as an olympic sport but I also worry that it might not be a good idea. Because I feel like would take away the values that karate holds.

Also i feel like people would come in expect to learn how to either fight or kata and expect to get into the national team straight away.

As much that would be good for business but things would be difficult for the schools when those people don't get into the state or national team when they think they're awesome!

The ones that compete at the national and international level are extremely talented and have been training hard in all aspects of karate for many many years. Even if they are in those teams for one aspect (kata or kumite) but they are still good at the other part.

First of all, welcome to KF!! Glad you're here!!

I don't care one way or another if karate is ever selected for the Olympics because the IOC will do whatever they want to, and I doubt that the IOC will ask for opinions.

I believe that TKD was chosen by the IOC years ago because of it's continuous sparring element, which is similar to boxing, which, of course, is continuous. IOC can wrap their heads around TKD's mindset.

Karate, for the most part, isn't continuous, as we know, the action is halted after each suspected point. For some, that's hard to understand, and, boring as watching paint dry. The similarity that Brain brought up is an important element; why add something similar when it adds no value to the games.

Brian's idea about hosting the summer games in Japan, and this time, have it as a demonstration sport, so that sport karate can be explained to the layperson. Then, and it's a big then, maybe the IOC will be steered to allow it as a regular part of the games. MAYBE!!

TKD has nothing to worry about being replaced by karate, should it be allowed, because the two, TKD and Karate, are two different words. In that, they both will attract their fans base freely and unabridged.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Kata could be introduced but, again, the average Olympic viewer will have no idea what they are watching,

In the last application to the IOC it was proposed that there would be no Kata just Kumite.

the closest thing they have set up to a national governing body would be the WKO, which I think was set up with the goal of driving Karate to the Olympics.

The I.O.C. recognise the WKF (not WKO) is the world governing body of Karate.

the IOC would gain some real value by adding MMA to the Olympics. Its a throwback to the old Pankration, and it is vastly more popular than any of the other Olympic Martial Sports out there now.

One of the major problems the IOC have had with karate in the past is the issue of uncontrolled strikes and kicks doing too much damage (and drawing blood etc). This goes against the Olympic way of things - so it is very unlikey that MMA would be considered for the same reason.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

Good to know that the WKF is the WORLD GOVERNING BODY of karate, per the IOC. Whew!! Takes a load off me, I'll close up our Hombu immediately!!

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

the closest thing they have set up to a national governing body would be the WKO, which I think was set up with the goal of driving Karate to the Olympics.

The I.O.C. recognise the WKF (not WKO) is the world governing body of Karate.

Ah, that's it. My bad. That's what I meant. Thanks for the correction.