• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

who can be a grading officer

Do you all do your dan gradings "in house" at your own Dojo? We are graded in house up to 1st Kyu, but only by Sandan and above (and only if they hold the relevant coaching badges) then for Dan grades we go to Edinburgh and are graded by other members of the federation that aren't involved with our club. My instructor recently had a bit of a beef with the federation over other clubs sending candidates who clearly aren't ready to grade causing high failure rates. We have to be 1st Kyu for 6 months before applying to grade for Shodan, but clearly some instructors are at fault for allowing students to grade when they aren't ready.

M.

Be water, my friend.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think if there are enough seniors then "in house" is fine, some seem to do this if there is a Sandan amongst the examiners. I expect some smaller clubs have just graded them regardless, especially if they don't belong to a governing body.

I think in the case of just a Nidan running a club then he can grade to 1st Kyu but then needs to take his Shodan candidates to someone who has enough seniors to grade them, this can be a governing body but it would be more preferable at a nearby club/org. Maybe they could be advised to train with them for a few sessions before so they can iron out anything that the Sensei may have missed and for the student to get used to them.

A 1st Kyu should be told they can grade when they are ready and not be looking at a calendar for when they can get their Black Belt. It is also very insulting when someone is put forward when they are not ready or haven't done the standard time in training. It is even worse if they were to be passed, makes you want to throw yours in the bin as it just lost a lot of value.

Ultimately though it is the person that makes a good Black Belt and not the bit of material keeping their Gi tidy.

we don't allow our students to grade until they are ready to grade for it. But on average prior to our 1st kyu's grading to shodan-ho (they don't grade straight to shodan) they will spend on average 1 year at that rank but only exceptional students will be able to grade prior to that.

For us at OGKK, it is the 3rd dan blacks and up that can grade. The second dans are coached into this position.

3rd dans upwards also allowed to start satellite schools, but in some instances, second dans also allowed to depending on the years of experience.

Disclaimer: I speak for myself and what I have seen. It may or may not be this way. But my sensei is 3rd dan, and she grades her students and runs a satellite dojo.

Uphold the Budo spirit and nothing will overcome you!

• 1 month later...

In my dojo and organisation, minimum grade to run a dojo is 2nd Dan, preferred is 3rd Dan. We are an Okinawan style, and use the 2 grade below system many have previously referred to.

2nd Dan -> 1st Kyu

3rd Dan -> 1st Dan

4th Dan -> 2nd Dan

5th Dan -> 3rd Dan

6th Dan -> 4th Dan

Panel of 5 7th Dan (or above) -> 5th Dan (from here on it's done by a panel of 5).

Our Kyu grades are done in house, and if an instructor holds the appropriate grade, they can issue Dan ranks and are permitted to issue grades up to 4th Dan. 5th Dan should be taken at the Honbu in Okinawa, and usually under at least 5 judges (usually all 9th Dan and above).

In my country's Association, we try to have all of the dojo owners present at any Dan promotion tests, but it's not always possible.

I also want to note that in my association in Okinawa, and in most other Okinawan associations kyu grades and 1st Dan really don't have a lot of meaning. Most people I know achieve a 1st Kyu after about a year of training a few times a week, and 1st Dan after 3 years.

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

In my dojo and organisation, minimum grade to run a dojo is 2nd Dan, preferred is 3rd Dan. We are an Okinawan style, and use the 2 grade below system many have previously referred to.

2nd Dan -> 1st Kyu

3rd Dan -> 1st Dan

4th Dan -> 2nd Dan

5th Dan -> 3rd Dan

6th Dan -> 4th Dan

Panel of 5 7th Dan (or above) -> 5th Dan (from here on it's done by a panel of 5).

Our Kyu grades are done in house, and if an instructor holds the appropriate grade, they can issue Dan ranks and are permitted to issue grades up to 4th Dan. 5th Dan should be taken at the Honbu in Okinawa, and usually under at least 5 judges (usually all 9th Dan and above).

In my country's Association, we try to have all of the dojo owners present at any Dan promotion tests, but it's not always possible.

I also want to note that in my association in Okinawa, and in most other Okinawan associations kyu grades and 1st Dan really don't have a lot of meaning. Most people I know achieve a 1st Kyu after about a year of training a few times a week, and 1st Dan after 3 years.

Solid post...solid principles!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!