• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu and Shotokan?

Dani_001

Is there anyone here that has done this? What are your thoughts and how did it leave you?

Uphold the Budo spirit and nothing will overcome you!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What I am saying is, can both be done at the same time achieving good results?

I wouldn't think anything is wrong with it.

They have pretty different philosophies on fighting and though the katas share technique they are different and shotokan has more kata.

There is much overlap as I understand it which will both help and hurt you.

If you can swing it, why not.

Besides it may be a great idea to really feel out each school and system, see if one drags you away from the other. You will very effectively be able to compare and contrast.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Mas Oyama did it... so lemme try as well lol.

I have an ability to separate things when needs to be, and join where it can be sync'd.

I did Shotokan for 3 years, left and after a wander around various other arts, came to Goju Ryu. 35 years later, still doing it. :D

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

I did Shotokan for 3 years, left and after a wander around various other arts, came to Goju Ryu. 35 years later, still doing it. :D

From what I understand, there are different forms of Shotokan governing bodies? Also, JKA governing body for Shotokan, as I was told, is the best and they stick to everything from Gichin Funakoshi's time?

Hi Dani,

I may fit your profile, because I practiced Goju Ryu for 16 years (3rd dan). After moving to a place with only Shotokan Clubs I started Shutokan to have somebody to train with (got a JKA 2nd Dan along the way)... But Shutokan never caught me as much as Goju Ryu, which is why I keep practicing (I gathered a small group, actually).

Now, does it make sense to train both styles at the same time? Generally, cross training is good, but if one starts training simultaneously in these two styles without solid foundation in one it might cause more confusion than do good. So, why divide your focus early on? On the other hand, if you are mature in one style (brown or black belt) and want to explore the other - go for it! I could also see the benefits if you want to supplement your training with a specific skill-set (for example sports Kumite) that is not taught in your regular Dojo.

Finally, a comment on the JKA; I don't think they teach Funakoshi's unmodified Shotokan...They teach strong athletic techniques that have little use outside of sports Karate. And they are ridden with political schemes and petty "I am the head instructor"-struggles, in my experience.

------------

Goju Ryu (Yushinkan since 1989), Shotokan (JKA since 2005)