• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favorite way of teaching applications of kata to students

There are so many different form applications. Realistically you can develop your own, I have my mind opened constantly to new applications for even the most basic forms. Here I am teaching a few applications from kichu il bu and one from kichu Sam bu. These are very basic forms, and yet there are still plenty of applications. I usually teach them by showing a few times and then having them partner up to try on each other as I walk around helping them. https://youtu.be/jr30-wDyOfM

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a preference for the way I am being taught. The method consists of breaking down a kata into two or three move segments. Every segment is drilled individually first and then practised as a partner exercise gradually faster and eventually as a short kumite.

The next step is practising all the segments in order with partners attacking from all sides. Once this can be done, variations of the techniques are slowly introduced. At an advanced level students are expected to do kumite using the content of a predetermined kata.

I usually begin with the process of Kaisetsu; a literal interpretation of the Kata. Essentially, the Waza as presented in the Kata are taken at face value, and explored without alteration, and viewed in a global manner, rather than each movement taken as an individual component. At this stage it is usually the kata movement against kihon waza, and the emphasis is upon Go-No-Sen, as expressed in Ippon Kumite. Another way to explain this would be to say that if it looks like a block, I treat it as a block, and thus we train as such.

The second phase is usually Kaishaku; interpretation of what the movements may represent in application, however, while still adhering to the way the Waza are presented in the Kata with no alterations. At this stage, I introduce students to the attacks as outlined in HAPV theory and how to perform them, the concepts of Sensen-No-Sen and Sen-No-Sen, and how to test Kata with proper body checks.

The purpose of this stage is to test the Kata movements; with the resilience of stances and blocks and the power of strikes tested through body checks and pads, to gain insight into how to best perform the waza. Furthermore, the movements are tested unchanged against the attacks outlined in HAPV, to give the student insight into how the movement was perhaps intended to be interpreted.

In broader circles; the above would be considered Omote, or surface, “Bunkai” and this is purposeful. I find it useful for improving learning process of the Kata, without interfering with proper technical performance of the Kata. However, by adding resistance, but not taking the Kata “apart” it allows the student to explore global themes, and to gain an understanding of the concepts, components and principles contained within the Kata. Furthermore, it also allows the student to understand the faults of Kihon Waza, and refine them. If the above process goes well, I usually find I never have to teach applications; refine the ones that arise a bit perhaps, but rarely have to teach them.

I am hesitant to teach “applications” and prefer just to instruct in Bunkai as a process, and expose people to methods of developing their own eye for analysis, and relevant theories. Saying that; I did develop Kiso Kumite derived from the Pinan Kata, which has a nod to the above process I now adhere to.

Each Pinan had it’s own series of drills, designed to fit a theme; for example the theme of Pinan Shodan was immediate response to attack, and restoring control of the situation by counter attack and controlling distance.

In phase one; it is essentially Yakusoku Kumite. The Uke would attack Seme with a Kihon Waza, and Seme would respond with a sequence from the Kata, in a manner similar to what one would see in Ippon Kumite.

In the second phase; it would be expanded to a semi-free format. Uke would be allowed a selection of attacks, one for each limb, against which the same response would in theory work, but would have to adapt as the situation evolved to work properly.

In phase three; the method is the same as above, but Uke now attacks with attacks from the HAPV instead of Kihon Waza, and is no longer limited to 4 techniques but instead 6-8 relevant to the particular Kata Waza being practiced.

Each response was designed to have some utility whether one moved to outside, or inside, of the presented attack, and was designed to be applied regardless of “handedness”; whether you were attacked with the left or right. Furthermore, they ended with a body check, and in position to perform a takedown.

This way, the drills could be practiced as flow drills (alternating at the point of the body check) or like semi-free-sparring or Yakusoku Kumite depending on one’s level. My usual way of implementing it was simply to have people stand in two rows, each have a go at the drill, then have one row move along so everyone has a new partner, then perform the next drill. However, I did like to put one person at the front, and just have them run through the drills as swiftly as possible with a fresh attacker each time. Another way was to have the attackers follow the embusen, with the defender in the centre; an approach criticised by Mabuni, and rightly so, but I find it useful to teaching people the basic tactics of multiple attacker scenarios.

These days, I prefer the first methods mentioned, and sticking to Kata based sparring; allowing people to evolve their own honto applications. Something that works for them them, actually resembles the kata, and has a nod to actual potential attacks on their person.

R. Keith Williams

So I guess what makes me interested in age groups here is that we aren't mentioning it much. I teach 75% kids. I love teaching adults but it's tough these days. Adults seem to more into mma then karate. The older kids especially, ages 15 to 16, they have such a hard time with the discipline and respect. Small things like bowing that are second nature to some of us, are a really big deal to them unless they have the experience. As we talk about how we teach application I think age is relevant. In my video I was speaking bit I have to actually keep those lessons to a smaller scale then I want to because if you watch the students, some with ADHD, you see it's the "boring" part of the lesson and they daze off.

The key is to keep the explanations brief and the sequences of techniques short. Small scale is good for everyone, not just for those with short attention spans. It makes the material easier to take in and practise. After a brief explanation of the purpose of each move students can immediately start drilling the sequence. The sooner students can start drilling a two to three move sequence, the less they will doze off. Keep the details and discussion for afterwards.

Age certainly is a factor to consider and everything should be adjusted to fit. Ideally, it would be advisable to reserve the teaching of anything but the most elementary applications to students 16 or older. Young children simply do not have the ability to concentrate for long enough or comprehend anything more than simple physical movements.

Yes; it can be difficult to engage children in application. To be honest I do not really bother if they are under the age of 14, with a handful of exceptions but never below 12.

Best method I found was to gamify the process; involve a sort of circuit to go around. Do the application drill, then run around, and do some other fun tasks such as pad work. Make the other tasks relevant to the application drill; so if it involves an elbow, make elbowing the focus on the circuit.

One game method I found that worked well with older kids was to involve kakei-kumite, however, treat it more like a game of tag. If you lost the tag then you had to attack, and the winner got to do the application. Danger being one person might be good at hand speed, and get an inadvertent amount of practice doing the application, so need to balance it out with circuit training really.

I no longer teach children, and probably would not bother with application were I to go back to teaching children. However, when I did the organisation I was with involved pre-arranged bunkai as a part of the grading syllabus so had to find ways to teach it.

My opinion is that applications are divisible from good karate; my focus on teaching younger people is to help them develop good technique, with speed and power, and to make sure they do not become big fish in small ponds by finding, and providing, ways for them to test themselves. If, when they get old enough for great karate and want to move beyond good, then I will introduce them to the process of bunkai.

R. Keith Williams

Wow, I'm surprised that the general consensus so far seems to be to not teach application much at least, to the kids. The problem I have with that is I hate the idea of teaching forms without people understanding a practical meaning to them. Too many schools do this, ones that I've even been a part of, even with adults. Some schools just do not teach applications.

I do however, see a reason why some people would not teach it to children though. I do a great deal of test work on my own children because I teach them. I have four children that all train and it is easy for me to see you at home with a pick up, although living with the sensei probably give them a leg up and is not the best example lol. For me personally, at the moment, I teach application to the advanced class only. The advanced class is about halfway through the ranks towards 1st° black belt, even in that class just as I did in the video, I was teaching applications for basic form number one in tang Soo do. In the end I'm the type of person that likes to experiment and find out for myself how far I can push my students.

Only time will tell though!

To elaborate on my position; in my mind there are three applications for every kata movement:

1. The intended application of the kata's creator.

2. The inferred applications made through interpretation by bunkai experts.

3. The actual application useful to the person studying the kata.

This is why I do not teach applications, but favour showing people how to discover their own. I might demo my ideas regarding a waza and its possible uses, but the danger of experience is that it tells us what not to do. So I favour letting creativity run wild, even if some times it makes me wince, and I find myself “correcting” what they are doing.

However, with children, the processes of discovering applications are often too complex. Plus, I favour emphasising the advantages of practicing kata, and I find with children if I show them the “content” of the Kata, they will have the Bruce Lee moment of “why don’t we just practice the content?”, and sometimes it can be hard to pull them back from that. So instead, I favour emphasising how to breath properly, perform the techniques strongly through out, and to an extent the mental aspects of kata, and most of all having fun with it.

To me, I view those childhood years of training as preparation for the study of martial arts, not actual study of martial arts. True martial arts are not divisible from violence, nor can one accomplish much without the proper mindset and physicality. I try to provide the tools for them to engage in their own pursuit of the martial arts when they are ready; whether that be continuing their studies with me or others. I just find applications to be a transient body of information in that pursuit.

R. Keith Williams

I get what your saying about trying to open a door for the student to develop their own. In a sense that is Absolutely what I am saying is well, just because I show a specific technique, doesn't mean I'm saying this is the only way, I'm just opening the door outside of the usual thinking that this may be a low block, or this may be a outside block. To me this does open doors.

I don't believe that any of us have a really good grasp on the true intended applications. This is why so many applications have been developed because people experiment with the forms and this is exactly what people should do in my opinion.

I agree with what you're saying about children and it is like a preparation for real training, in the end I really am saying the same thing, just in a different way. Teaching an application for basic form number one is hardly delving into advanced karate, so it is in this way I intend to open that door to preparation for real training. I do understand what you're saying. I simply like to expose them to all different aspects of the martial arts. As I said I like to experiment more, I may introduce a bit of sword (which I do) or a bit of night self-defense (which I do also) but only one or two techniques to give them a foundation. I do not believe that it will be extremely useful for self-defense now, I do believe however that it lays a very solid foundation for being better at these techniques later. That is my personal approach. I'm not saying I know that my way is the most effective way, I'm simply saying it is my focus anyway and my aim.

As I said it's very similar to what you are saying because I'm really just laying groundwork for later.

To elaborate on my position; in my mind there are three applications for every kata movement:

1. The intended application of the kata's creator.

2. The inferred applications made through interpretation by bunkai experts.

3. The actual application useful to the person studying the kata.

This is why I do not teach applications, but favour showing people how to discover their own. I might demo my ideas regarding a waza and its possible uses, but the danger of experience is that it tells us what not to do. So I favour letting creativity run wild, even if some times it makes me wince, and I find myself “correcting” what they are doing.

However, with children, the processes of discovering applications are often too complex. Plus, I favour emphasising the advantages of practicing kata, and I find with children if I show them the “content” of the Kata, they will have the Bruce Lee moment of “why don’t we just practice the content?”, and sometimes it can be hard to pull them back from that. So instead, I favour emphasising how to breath properly, perform the techniques strongly through out, and to an extent the mental aspects of kata, and most of all having fun with it.

To me, I view those childhood years of training as preparation for the study of martial arts, not actual study of martial arts. True martial arts are not divisible from violence, nor can one accomplish much without the proper mindset and physicality. I try to provide the tools for them to engage in their own pursuit of the martial arts when they are ready; whether that be continuing their studies with me or others. I just find applications to be a transient body of information in that pursuit.

Exactly. "Guided Dsicovery" is the best way to go.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/