Favorite way of teaching applications of kata to students

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than teaching from the Kata - this move means this - I like like to take a real attack and work through the different responses (bunkai), that a kata(s) has to it. So students can select one that suits them best.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

When I feel a student knows the movements well enough, I like to line up 4 attackers at N, S, E, and W. Then, I have them attack as per the kata and let the "victim" perform the applications from the kata on the attackers.

It's fun, and if it is done at a good pace, it's a very good workout!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

EXPERIENCE the Kata, and in that, EXPERIENCE the Bunka/Oyo of said Kata. But, not as the teaching model through the syllabus would have one to think. No! Not to be complying, but to be restrictive and resistance to any and everything presented.

Experience is the best teacher. So, experience the whole outside of any known box.

Run known drills, then change them however to challenge them without any warning.

That's why I love the tennis ball drill; it tests one's awareness.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Before I ever present the kata. I teach the bunkai. I have Bunkai/oyo for all the kata. I teach them much like an ippon kumite.

Once proficiency is gained in the application, I teach the form. It really helps it make sense. Afterall, kata without meaning is just dance.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

My favorite way to teach a kata is step by step. Do the steps a few times, then introduce the next part until completion.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Usually, my Sensei teaches us the movements first by repetition, and then he shows us the bunkai. But the last one we learned, he taught us the bunkai first in the order of them (without telling us what he was doing), and then walked us thru the kata sequence. It was different to me, because all I've ever seen was being taught the movements first, and then the applications. I kind of enjoyed it.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

Both understanding said kata movements and it's applications are a life time endeavor; time that will not be wasted.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Before I ever present the kata. I teach the bunkai. I have Bunkai/oyo for all the kata. I teach them much like an ippon kumite.

Once proficiency is gained in the application, I teach the form. It really helps it make sense. Afterall, kata without meaning is just dance.

Everyone knows I'm not a huge form guy (altough my new exposure to FMA might be changing this a bit) that said, this makes the most sense to me as a method of successfully utilizing kata as a learning tool.

One of the big factors of current adult learning theory is that adults like to know the "why" of an action and this helps in retention. They also want to see how skill work relates to performance. This is the common failure of kata as it's often taught (and the way forms ARE NOT done in FMA, hence by slow modification of stance on this issue.)

By teaching bunkai in this manner, you're satesfying those learning objectives that adults perform best with and utilizing the kata to sharpen those once learned.

Everyone knows I'm not a huge form guy (altough my new exposure to FMA might be changing this a bit) that said, this makes the most sense to me as a method of successfully utilizing kata as a learning tool.

One of the big factors of current adult learning theory is that adults like to know the "why" of an action and this helps in retention. They also want to see how skill work relates to performance. This is the common failure of kata as it's often taught (and the way forms ARE NOT done in FMA, hence by slow modification of stance on this issue.)

By teaching bunkai in this manner, you're satesfying those learning objectives that adults perform best with and utilizing the kata to sharpen those once learned.

We don't do forms applications in my school. But, I have spent time reading and looking into possible forms applications for my form set, and on how to apply them. If I were to begin doing this, this is the approach I would take a serious look into. I feel that self-defense should begin on day one, and this approach satisfies that ideal for me. Learning these applications first would also help to form an association with the moves in the forms, thus enhancing the learning experience of the forms.