• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which is better ?!!

Safroot

This might help you to know. I am just a few months ahead of you time-wise, and I am finding, just now, that with the basics coming a little more automatically the more complicated things are easier to pick up. Learning my second kata was much easier than learning my first, even though it is a more complicated kata. Even the more complicated self-defense routines are coming easier than the basic ones did. My point is that you won't progress at the same pace as you have been. Focus on the fine points of the basics, as your sensei requests - - the more complicated stuff will come to you more quickly becauseyou'll have a firmer grasp on the basics.

Also, as a teacher of another physical art (highland dancing - - a very aerobic traditional form of Scottish dancing, done over swords, etc.), I can say with certainty that it is MUCH harder to break a habit than to learn something new. Focus on perfecting technique in those basics now, when they are still new.

And also, I still get lost in combinations! But it is getting better. You will notice a huge difference in two months! :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wise man once said, "there are no advanced techniques; only basics done in an advanced way." I honestly can't remember who that was, but he taught a seminar that my Sensei went to, years ago, and his advice stuck. Drill your basics until they are automatic. Only then will the more advanced techniques even make sense. Don't worry about how long it takes, either--you have the rest of your life to learn karate :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I learned the hard way by moving too fast through the ranks. Even though I was able to reach Shodan in above average time, I am still spending a lot of time cleaning up what I did wrong all those years. Bad habits are very hard to fix and even though getting to the Black Belt is the goal, fixing years of bad habits is harder.

I was told by more than one high ranking instructor that good kihon makes good Karate so spend your time making each technique as good as possible and then move to the more advanced moves.

Doug

Shodan, Shotokan Karate & 1st Kyu, Iaido

ShotokanMaster.com

ShotokanPlanet.org

If you develop strong basics, you'll go far.

To delve right in and learn the advanced stuff before getting the basics right, may look nice but in the long term be as much use as a chocolate teapot :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

Listen to your Sensei. You can't skip the beginning of the book and expect to get the overall meaning. The beginning techniques although simplistic will be the building blocks of all other applications to follow.

Work on your basics and realize that if your in a mixed class there will be students of different ranks and skill levels. Don't judge yourself against higher ranks. Realize that they have had a longer time to train and learn the drills and combinations you are seeing. Give yourself time and you'll get there.

It's normal to want to be at a higher level but if you cut corners you'll find out that it only hurts you later in your training.

Stay on course and it will pay off.

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.

This might help you to know. I am just a few months ahead of you time-wise, and I am finding, just now, that with the basics coming a little more automatically the more complicated things are easier to pick up. Learning my second kata was much easier than learning my first, even though it is a more complicated kata. Even the more complicated self-defense routines are coming easier than the basic ones did. My point is that you won't progress at the same pace as you have been. Focus on the fine points of the basics, as your sensei requests - - the more complicated stuff will come to you more quickly becauseyou'll have a firmer grasp on the basics.

Also, as a teacher of another physical art (highland dancing - - a very aerobic traditional form of Scottish dancing, done over swords, etc.), I can say with certainty that it is MUCH harder to break a habit than to learn something new. Focus on perfecting technique in those basics now, when they are still new.

And also, I still get lost in combinations! But it is getting better. You will notice a huge difference in two months! :)

your comment is very encouraging as usual :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

"there are no advanced techniques; only basics done in an advanced way."

That's very wise :) I liked it

:D

Bad habits are very hard to fix and even though getting to the Black Belt is the goal, fixing years of bad habits is harder

That's what I am trying to do my best to avoid and this was my Sensie's first advice to me :)

If you develop strong basics, you'll go far.

To delve right in and learn the advanced stuff before getting the basics right, may look nice but in the long term be as much use as a chocolate teapot :)

:up:

Listen to your Sensei. You can't skip the beginning of the book and expect to get the overall meaning. The beginning techniques although simplistic will be the building blocks of all other applications to follow.

Work on your basics and realize that if your in a mixed class there will be students of different ranks and skill levels. Don't judge yourself against higher ranks. Realize that they have had a longer time to train and learn the drills and combinations you are seeing. Give yourself time and you'll get there.

It's normal to want to be at a higher level but if you cut corners you'll find out that it only hurts you later in your training.

Stay on course and it will pay off.

Solid post and useful advice to consider ... Thank you :)