• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting into Karate Shape

XPoint0

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I would just like to play devils advocate for a moment and question the benefit of endurance training for karate. How long is a self defence situation going to last. 30 seconds? A minute? Less?

Self defence situations last for how long ? good question IMO that varies from situation to another but are you training Karate for only self defence or you have other goals ?!

If only for self defence so endurance will help you to perform better in this 30 or 60 seconds situation.

If you are doing karate for any other reason, you will find a specific importance for endurance for each single reason :D

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

I would just like to play devils advocate for a moment and question the benefit of endurance training for karate. How long is a self defence situation going to last. 30 seconds? A minute? Less?

I don't know how long a self defence situation is going to last.

But I do know how long my karate-class is going to last. And to be able to keep focus and intensity through the whole class, I need to have a good level of endurance :)

But I do know how long my karate-class is going to last. And to be able to keep focus and intensity through the whole class, I need to have a good level of endurance :)

Good point :up:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

I don't know how long a self defence situation is going to last.

I agree too. My heart rate usually stays up for close to the whole hour. You definitely both need and develop good endurance!

If you are very good then in a standard situation hopefully a few seconds, but what if?

Check the news where people have endured prolonged attacks, nobody will wait for you to catch your breath.

But surely everyone would want to be as fit as possible so they can train hard to get the most out of their training?

If you are very good then in a standard situation hopefully a few seconds, but what if?

Check the news where people have endured prolonged attacks, nobody will wait for you to catch your breath.

But surely everyone would want to be as fit as possible so they can train hard to get the most out of their training?

Fitness is a very generic term that comprises anything from 5 to 8 or more components depending on who you talk to. I would say you need to be fit for the purpose you are training for.

I may be wrong but I would suggest the circumstances you are talking about are more prolonged beatings than a prolonged fight where are person was engaged in a battle that required them to call on a level of endurance to continue.

Just some additional thoughts. Firstly a significant majority of Seniors begin martials arts training to improve general fitness and quite often to lose weight. I would also agree that a minimum level of endurance is required both to ensure you are able to execute your defence skills if needed, but also to train at a level required to continue to improve your karate. However as a student progresses to intermediate and advance levels they should have gained a solid base of endurance I don’t believe it needs to be a focus in their training. Increasing intensity and power output is more important (of course along with continued skill development and learning).

Lastly there have been studies done that show that endurance training has a negative impact on power output.