• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your personal training places outside of dojo

Nabil Kazama

Our club trains at the gym that I lift weights in, so in the mornings, after I weight train (and in between sets), I go in the racquetball court and practice. I've been ramping it up over the last month since I was offered the opportunity to test for my Nidan rank.

When I was offered the opportunity to test for my Shodan rank, I spent months practicing every morning, and it paid off big time!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nice responses guys, do you usually train in Gi or casual clothes? I do sometimes get looks, but I think they're more curious than things like 'Oh he's just some Karate man' or something.

I wish I had some Mikawara boards of my own.

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

Below (don't know how well it posts) is my training plan, based around my shift pattern.

ANDY'S : 8 DAY TRAINING CYCLE.

DAYS 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

SLEEP SLEEP WORK WORK SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP

MIDNIGHT

CLASS ? CLASS ? CLASS ? CLASS ? CLASS ? CLASS ?

WORK WORK

6 P.M.

WORK WORK

MIDDAY

WORK WORK SLEEP SLEEP

6 A.M.

IMPORTANT : WRITE 30 MINUTES PER DAY, DON'T BE DISTRACTED BY INTER-NET – WRITE !

DAILY = MAKIWARA + UDE TANREN + SANCHIN KATA.

NOTE = ATTEND 2 CLASS PER 8 DAY PERIOD, SO ADJUST PLAN AS REQUIRED.

KARATE EXERCISES : JUMBI UNDO AND HOJO UNDO. PLUS KIHON ETC.

BODY WIEGHT EXERCISES OR RUNNING FOR STAMINA.

REST PERIOD – MAJOR FULL BODY STRETCHING. ( AS PREVIOUSLY DONE ON A SATURDAY.)

HEAVY WIEGHT ROUTINE + BAGWORK

KARATE : BODYWIEGHT OR RUNNING ETC MISSED DUE TO CLASS TRAINING ETC.

ANDY

DAYS 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

SLEEP SLEEP WORK WORK SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP

MIDNIGHT

CLASS ? CLASS ? CLASS ? CLASS ? CLASS ? CLASS ?

WORK WORK

6 P.M.

WORK WORK

MIDDAY

WORK WORK SLEEP SLEEP

6 A.M.

IMPORTANT : WRITE 30 MINUTES PER DAY, DON'T BE DISTRACTED BY INTER-NET – WRITE !

DAILY = MAKIWARA + UDE TANREN + SANCHIN KATA.

NOTE = ATTEND 2 CLASS PER 8 DAY PERIOD, SO ADJUST PLAN AS REQUIRED.

KARATE EXERCISES : JUMBI UNDO AND HOJO UNDO. PLUS KIHON ETC.

BODY WIEGHT EXERCISES OR RUNNING FOR STAMINA.

REST PERIOD – MAJOR FULL BODY STRETCHING. ( AS PREVIOUSLY DONE ON A SATURDAY.)

HEAVY WIEGHT ROUTINE + BAGWORK

KARATE : BODYWIEGHT OR RUNNING ETC MISSED DUE TO CLASS TRAINING ETC.

' alt='>'>

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

• 4 months later...

OSU!

I'm in the lucky situation to own a house that has a big garage. It easily fits 2 cars, and then there's still some space left. We don't use it for parking cars anymore, but rather I was able to convince my wife that I need it as training space. It's large enough to do kata, and I have my heavy bag there as well as all my weights equipment.

When I work out during my lunchtime breaks, I usually go to the parking garage across the street and practice my stuff on the basement floor which is half below ground.

Otherwise, the world is my playground and my dojo. When not at home, at work or in the dojo and I still want to practice something, I can do it pretty much anywhere. I have practiced on the beach, in the forest, at a bus stop late at night while waiting for the bus, pretty much anywhere. The only thing that I find important is that not too many people watch me - I have found that this can be quite annoying.

OSU!

Just Karate

I think Karate is pretty much like any field of study. We shouldn't just attend classes, we need some "me time" to fully understand it.

After having a good understanding of the founding principles, discovering karate on your own is also important. Somethings you'll never experience in just one dojo.

Personally I attend karate lessons at a local dojo, but aside from that and teaching taekwondo, I do about 4 training sessions, either alone or with a partner/student. The purpose of those training sessions is to either improve some skill or experiment with something new.

I usually choose places that have three caracteristics:

1) Not many people around to start staring at you in that "look at that kung fu fool" :) that can be quite distracting..

2) Air is not too poluted

3) Must have enough space (at least 6x6 meters)

4) Ground should have a good plain surface that's not slippery.

Optionally, I look at places in nature (I live near a mountain).

Also, try to practice early in the morning, so that 1) has better chances! :)

Regards

-----------------------------------------------------------

T. Amaro

My martial arts blog: http://martialarts.telmoamaro.com

(martial arts related articles, ebooks and apps)

I will at times practice in my back yard (and sometimes videos appear on youtube from my yard sessions). I have a good friend that I sometimes train at his house with him. And, we used to use the amphitheater at college for space when we were there.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Yes! My Sensei has beach workouts every so often. We have one coming up on august 30th actually which will be my first and I'm really excited!

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

At home I practice in private on our deck, and every day at work (dependent on weather) I find a spot on the lawn away from people and security cameras to practice kata. One time waiting on a really long line at Walt Disney World my son and I practiced, obviously not in private :-)