• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your personal training places outside of dojo

Nabil Kazama

So as a Shotokan Karateka, me and my Sensei have discussed in the past places to train in other than the dojo. My Sensei has confidence in me that we train outside the dojo in a location I found.

Do you guys like doing what I do? Take long walks and mentally practice? There's a countryside that is 10 mins from where I live and I drive there and train quietly in the mornings.

In my opinion, I think a lot of people just rather train in the dojo but outside they don't which is fine, but I think they are more 'casual'

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, I sometimes train in other places. The key is to find somewhere where you will not be a "spectacle". I have been stopped and stared at by people before - if you are good, people will always find your practice to be interesting. However, it is not nice to be stared at.

I like to find peaceful places in which I know that I will not be bothered. Usually it is not a long practice, maybe 10 - 20 minutes tops.

My 2 places are:

1. the beach (a sandy beach)

2. my living room, which is too small for kata but I can still practice form and kihon.

"Insert witty comment here"

I find it difficult to find space to practise at home. I've considered asking my local leisure gym if I can borrow their function room early in the mornings when they're not being used but am not looking forward to their answer..!

I practice kata, kihon, and goshin-waza in my living room, and do heavy bag work, makiwara work, and maize bag work in my garage. I've also trained in the woods, on beaches, and in a variety of other places, but not regularly.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

It depends on the weather and if my wife is up (being that we have a kid). In the mornings when it is cold I practice in my living room (I currently don't have a home dojo :() but when the weather is nice, I do a quick jog to the lake (about a half mile) and practice there. I always warm up with basics and then practice kata and cutting drills. Before living in my current location there was this awesome park that had some amazing trails where I would train.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I will often practice at home with my kihon, as i can't do kata or pre-arranged due to space constrictions.

Although I will often practice out at a park that is near me. I practice absolutely everything.

When i have the itch for kumite outside of class, i usually organise a group of myself and a few friends of mine who i train with and who train at other schools (and styles) and we do kumite. We make sure that we do have a flat surface (usually a cricket oval) to do it and also book that space as well so we can use it. And we do make sure we wear our uniforms as well so people can identify that we are training and not having a brawl.

I train pretty regularly train in my basement. When I had to travel the better part of an hour for hits, I had mats down. Now that the gym I train at is so close and I can go there pretty much whenever, I changed the set up a bit to accommodate my stad up/ weapons work, which I spend far more time doing on my own between sessions.

I have used my basement before, but its a mess right now, and needs straightened out. I like training outside, but I don't like being watched, so don't do it often. The nice things is I can gain access to my gym floor whenever I have time, so long as no classes or tumbling is going on.

So far I'm kinda lucky I've a front room just large enough to complete kata...just about!

Bag work is banned to the garage!

A little freaky but an open space I came across on a run serves well for conditioning and exercise in general.

Edited by Hawkmoon

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.