• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Transferring your rank over from another governing body?

1stDan

Here's a random question for you all:

Say you were awarded a black belt by the JKA or KUGB, both governing bodies for karate in the UK. And you moved to another country to train with ISKF-related club in the SAME style - could you still go for 2nd Dan when you feel you're ready? Or do you have to do it all from scratch again with this new governing body?

What if you don't have any certificates or evidence from the original institution of your current rank (got lost due to excessive relocations)? What then? Are you stuck a 1st Dan forever? Or would they let you take the test without your paper proof???

I'm curious. :-?

"Insert witty comment here"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It really depends on the instructor in this case. Talk to whatever instructor you are wondering about for more answers.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

When someone transfers to our club from another association, we grade them for free and it HAS to be Shukokai. I transferred from Shorin Ryu and Shotokan; so I was a white belt again. I was a 2nd Dan before. If a child from another Shukokai school joins us; we don't take their belt off them, but it could be a long time before they grade. An adult is graded and must accept their new grade. But if for example you were a Kayokoshin 5th Dan, your style is different, so WHITE BELT!

Look to the far mountain and see all.

When someone transfers to our club from another association, we grade them for free and it HAS to be Shukokai. I transferred from Shorin Ryu and Shotokan; so I was a white belt again. I was a 2nd Dan before. If a child from another Shukokai school joins us; we don't take their belt off them, but it could be a long time before they grade. An adult is graded and must accept their new grade. But if for example you were a Kayokoshin 5th Dan, your style is different, so WHITE BELT!

This is the way I know it to be

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Same style; same rank!

Different style; different rank [beginner/white belt]!

The governing bodies can fight and argue all they want while you train!! Governing bodies worth their salt know that, and in that, they're there to administer, not to interfere with said dojo.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

IMHO I think if you transfer from one school to another of the SAME STYLE you should keep that rank. Unless you had a massive break in between training (i.e. 10 years) then you would be considered to go back to white so you can remember all your syllabus and get to that same standard that you were at prior to stopping.

IF you go to a different style then white belt it is.

If they asked for proof that you were of a certain rank and you don't have the evidence that you did attain that rank, then i believe you have the right to tell them to contact that school to confirm your rank

As a good friend says; the proof is on the floor. It's a sad time when someone has to be demoted after joining us; but if they are not up to standard; you can't let them stand in the line next to existing students and have the same rank; it's not fair.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

What should happen and what does happen can be two very different things.

I know that even between Shotokan associations within the UK, some will accept your rank and others will accept your rank but will require you to retest within a year (then they will either award you a lower grade, the same grade or a higher grade). They won't "demote" you, but they won't recognise your higher grade if you don't meet their standards after the probation period (and their exam).

...What if you don't have any certificates or evidence from the original institution of your current rank (got lost due to excessive relocations)? What then? Are you stuck a 1st Dan forever? Or would they let you take the test without your paper proof???

That would be down to the new association that you've joined. Personally, I've moved around a lot (between Shotokan associations and different arts/styles), and while I have all my old certs and licence book, (apart from once, but that's when I moved from Shotokan to Freestyle) I've never been asked to produce it. But this is very much dependant on association you move/transfer to.

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

This is a good question. I think it was answered for the most part , although in my experience I held rank (5th rank) in tae Kwon do and had to start at white in tang soo do! My testing shave been progressively faster then most there though, because I didn't have to learn low level material outside do forms, because I knew how to throw a roundhouse we'll and a side kick and so on. Took me only 6 months or so to achieve the same rank I was at! I see some others that iv passed, but if a persons abilities and work ethic are stronger then they should progress at that pace.

So, even if you can't transfer, often times you can progress faster, which is close to the same thing. If instructirs want to stay instructing they would be silly to ignore your martial arts experience!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

Strictly speaking, your rank is only relevant within the association that awarded it.

JKA, KUGB and ISKF are all automonous groups that run independantly from each other. The only thing they have in common is the style of Karate they practice (or at least the name anyway).

There is no over-arching National Governing Body for Karate in the UK.

Karate associations in this respect are private groups that award rank and can, if they choose, recognise ranks from outside as well.

K.

Edited by Kusotare

Usque ad mortem bibendum!