• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was challenged!

The way you described it, it sounded like a friendly challenge, not one intended to disrespect. Maybe he just wanted someone to spar with from an outside style. Then again, I wasn't there.

incidentally, why don't you have your safety gear in your training area?

People who are interested in training like this should try to approach it a bit more tactfully. If I go to another school, I'll ask if I can train with them, not ask if I can spar someone. If you trundle in and ask for some sparring, it tends to get people's attention, and not necessarily in a good way. But if you ask to train together, then there is more of mutualness about the encounter.

I'd build a rapport with a school training with them for a time, and then let them lead into anything to do with sparring, or bring it up after such a time that there is a bit of a comfort level between you and the school. I think that would be a more respectful way of approaching it.

You're right, though I do think it is a bit harsh to assume the challenge was hostile. Not everyone is equally good at being tactful, or understands the Martial Arts etiquette.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way you described it, it sounded like a friendly challenge, not one intended to disrespect. Maybe he just wanted someone to spar with from an outside style. Then again, I wasn't there.

People who are interested in training like this should try to approach it a bit more tactfully. If I go to another school, I'll ask if I can train with them, not ask if I can spar someone. If you trundle in and ask for some sparring, it tends to get people's attention, and not necessarily in a good way. But if you ask to train together, then there is more of mutualness about the encounter.

I'd build a rapport with a school training with them for a time, and then let them lead into anything to do with sparring, or bring it up after such a time that there is a bit of a comfort level between you and the school. I think that would be a more respectful way of approaching it.

You're right, though I do think it is a bit harsh to assume the challenge was hostile. Not everyone is equally good at being tactful, or understands the Martial Arts etiquette.

We never assumed that the challenge was hostile. His arrogance, however, was clear, but we assumed that he was looking to prove himself and show his skill. Had we thought he was hostile we would have handled it much differently.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

We don't make contact with each other and everything is at half or quarter speed. Helmets are only necessary when sparring, which we don't really do at this class. We never got the impression that he was disrespectful, just a little arrogant.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I don't think I assumed it was hostile. Its just that the approach probably comes across more rude than anything else. Like mentioned, not eveyone has the same tact, so it might have appeared rude, but not necessarily hostile.

I don't think I assumed it was hostile. Its just that the approach probably comes across more rude than anything else. Like mentioned, not eveyone has the same tact, so it might have appeared rude, but not necessarily hostile.

I wholeheartedly concur!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!